PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] I lost my panel and it wont come back

icodious24
August 30th, 2012, 07:31 AM
I had a friend who has since moved install Ubuntu 10 on my old laptop and was enjoying learning all the benies when my panel just stopped loading up one day. I looked on the net for a fix and found out there was a much newer version so i loaded it alongside 10. Well neither system would load the panel. So getting a little pissed I decided to load 12.4 without saving the 10 Knowing i would loose all personal data since without a panel i couldn't back it up and still 12.4 boots up with no upper panel, and I'm not sure but from the pics it looks like I'm supposed to have a panel or something on the right side to. Does anyone have a clue what I did wrong
Please help,
Bryan:confused:

icodious24
August 30th, 2012, 07:40 AM
By the way i had look at my file system in my new 12.4 and there are a ton of duplicate files. i have 32 gnome_sudoku files

runrickus
August 30th, 2012, 02:21 PM
I had a friend who has since moved install Ubuntu 10 on my old laptop and was enjoying learning all the benies when my panel just stopped loading up one day. I looked on the net for a fix and found out there was a much newer version so i loaded it alongside 10. Well neither system would load the panel. So getting a little pissed I decided to load 12.4 without saving the 10 Knowing i would loose all personal data since without a panel i couldn't back it up and still 12.4 boots up with no upper panel, and I'm not sure but from the pics it looks like I'm supposed to have a panel or something on the right side to. Does anyone have a clue what I did wrong
Please help,
Bryan:confused:

Not sure what you did if anything wrong but had the same problem try This

Login to 12.04 Then when your desktop boots up without the top panel
Hit the Alt F2 Keys in the line.
Type this "killall gnome-panel"
Your panel should show up! (Fingers Crossed)

cmcanulty
August 30th, 2012, 09:13 PM
also for future information download panel restore then every week or month back up your panels and easily restore them
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/09/how-to-restore-default-gnome-panels-in-ubuntu

icodious24
August 31st, 2012, 03:32 AM
Oh this is too cool, people willing to help people.. Well I tried it but I'm not sure if it's completely fixed I have a panel but no system, applications, or adminn tabs. I do have file, edit, view go and help. Is that all thats supposed to be there in 12.04. And I have the bar on the left but is there supposed to be something on the right?
I really appriciate it
Bryan

runrickus
August 31st, 2012, 06:20 AM
[QUOTE=icodious24;12207413]Oh this is too cool, people willing to help people..

This Is By Far One of the coolest Communitys There is on the web!
Sometimes though we don't understand the question being asked..
could you post screenshot of what your Desktop looks like? And maybe one of your home files! and are you running Unity or Gnome-Fall Back.
The More information you provide for us the better and faster we can help find a solution.:P

zombifier25
August 31st, 2012, 07:39 AM
could you post screenshot of what your Desktop looks like? And maybe one of your home files! and are you running Unity or Gnome-Fall Back.
The More information you provide for us the better and faster we can help find a solution.:P

This. We are a little confused at what desktop environment you are running. I suspect you are using Unity (which is the one with the big fat bar in the left) If so, then if you want to launch an application, click the first button in the left launcher, and type the name of whatever you want to launch.

You can read the full guide to Unity here (http://frenchfortunecookie.wordpress.com/2012/05/29/ubuntu-vancouver-simplifies-your-life-again/).