PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] cant get domain to point to server

Desaints
August 29th, 2012, 09:05 PM
I have ohiotech.net pointing to the NS my VPS host provided.

ns1-ns4

I have ubuntu 12.04 x64 with ISPconfig Mysql and Apache2 on the VPS

ISPconfig's dns is set up like this:

A mail 64.111.29.240 0
A ohiotech.net 64.111.29.240 0
A www 64.111.29.240 0
MX mail.ohiotech.net mail.64.111.29.240 10
NS ns1.ohiotech.net ns1.64.111.29.240 0
NS ns2.ohiotech.net ns2.64.111.29.240 0
Page 1 of 1

I'm not exactly positive what other information to post..

when going to ohiotech.net i get nothing or my old host depending on how i type it in.

going to the ip works perfectly.

Bachstelze
August 29th, 2012, 09:23 PM
If you have configured your domain name to use your provider's nameservers, then you need to do the configuration on your provider's name servers. If you want to use your own nameserver, then you need to configure your domain to use it.

sandyd
August 30th, 2012, 03:20 AM
+1 to what Bachstelze said, also

Your current nameservers,
ns1.frontrangehosting.com [204.45.250.249]
ns3.frontrangehosting.com [50.116.61.110]

are refusing querries for your domain.

lisati
August 30th, 2012, 03:26 AM
Don't get me wrong (I'm fairly new to this side of hosting), but the "www" entry seems out of place. Shouldn't it be something like www.ohiotech.net?

edit: +1 to what the others have said. On my setup I have most of the entries pointing to my server, but for the name servers, I have left them at my provider's defaults.

Bachstelze
August 30th, 2012, 04:11 AM
Don't get me wrong (I'm fairly new to this side of hosting), but the "www" entry seems out of place. Shouldn't it be something like www.ohiotech.net?

No, but the ohiotech.net entry above probably is (should be ohiotech.net. -- with a trailing period). Also the MX and NS records seem wrong as well, but maybe it's the "ISPConfig" thing that displays them like that...

lisati
August 30th, 2012, 04:16 AM
No, but the ohiotech.net entry above probably is (should be ohiotech.net. -- with a trailing period).

Thanks. It looks like the OP's setup is slightly different to mine, so I'll stand back and watch with interest.

Bachstelze
August 30th, 2012, 04:21 AM
Thanks. It looks like the OP's setup is slightly different to mine, so I'll stand back and watch with interest.

To be honest, though, it would be better to have the actual BIND config file rather than what "ISPConfig" gives, which is incomplete and probably wrong as well.

<rant>If you want to manage a server with something as complex as DNS yourself, you should be prepared to do the actual work, not use a shiny control panel. Otherwise, just use the provider's nameservers.</rant>

sandyd
August 30th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Or just use webmin to generate the bind config
/hides

Desaints
August 30th, 2012, 04:11 PM
how would one do this with webmin? which i now have installed?

(googling this now...)

still any tips is helpful..

Bachstelze
August 30th, 2012, 05:18 PM
That was of course a joke. For starters, what you need to do is to either configure your domain to use your nameservers, or configure your provider's nameservers to serve your domain correctly. None of this is done on your server. If you don't know how to do it, contact your provider.

If you really want to use your own nameserver and have configured your domain accordingly, we need your actual BIND config files (/etc/bind/named.conf.*).

SeijiSensei
August 30th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Anyone who wants to run a nameserver needs to read this RFC (http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/rfc/rfc1912.txt), and in particular, this paragraph:

Running a nameserver is not a trivial task. There are many things that can go wrong, and many decisions have to be made about what data to put in the DNS and how to set up servers.

Bachstelze
August 30th, 2012, 07:13 PM
Anyone who wants to run a nameserver needs to read this RFC (http://www.zoneedit.com/doc/rfc/rfc1912.txt), and in particular, this paragraph:

Running any kind of server is not a trivial task, really. That in itself is not a reason not do to it (but it is a reason not to use things like ISPConfig or Webmin).

Habitual
August 30th, 2012, 09:38 PM
http://intodns.com/ohiotech.net looks great today, but had multiple visual indications of errors yesterday.

Today, it at least resolves to the assigned IP with a footer showing "Powered by ISPConfig"

Today, your A records on the 4 nameservers are showing the assigned IP,

host -t ns ohiotech.net | while read dom ns server; do dig +short $dom; done

Yesterday, it pooped out.

This is looking better and better from a DNS point-of-view. :)

Desaints
August 31st, 2012, 05:02 PM
I've set it up to point to their ns1-ns4 and set the proper records in their control panel.

So far i have the domain actually working and pointing to the server. I'll get to hosting another domain shortly using my own NS. Which like you said I'll most likely have to configure BIND. And i'll need to learn to do it sooner or later. The tech support from my host said i could just point ns1.ohiotech.net and ns2.ohiotech.net to ns1-ns2 of theirs...