PDA

View Full Version : Error installing Matlab 2009b on Ubuntu 12.04

loremaster
August 29th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Hey guys, i got a problem installing matlab which i hope i can get help for.

Using Furious ISO Mount, i was able to mount 2009b iso and run the install file.

The start of the installation is smooth as well until i get to the stage where the installation prompts for space to install matlab and i get this error for lack of installation space.

However i checked my harddisk space and it says there are sufficient space on/dev/sda5.

I submitted 2 ss of the error and the hard disk space i have!

I can't made sense of this error and how to ressolve it plus i am new to ubuntu so would really appreciate any help. Thanks!

PC_load_letter
August 30th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Did you run the installation script with super user permissions?
Let's say that the installation script is called 'install', in such case, you type the following in a terminal:

sudo install

loremaster
September 2nd, 2012, 05:55 AM
I found the problem, apparently i redirected the installation of the root folder to the iso file itself therefore it could not installed. I created a new folder and pointed the installation to it so i could install the matlab 2009b.

I got a new problem now though, i am trying to install gcc 4.2 on matlab 2009b since it works with it only and gcc 4.6 or 4.7 doesn't.

I tried using

sudo aptitude install gcc-4.2-multilib libstdc++6-4.2-dev

but it keeps saying can't find the package finding the description.

I have already added
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hardy-security main to the end of my sources.list but aptitude gives me that error when i try to install gcc 4.2.

Must i download the package first for aptitude to install or aptitude finds it on my behalf?

Any help is appreciated! Once again thanks!