PDA

View Full Version : Fastest and best UI

jibawakee
August 27th, 2012, 01:00 AM
I have a slower desktop with only 3 gb or ram I need something that is fast i prefer something with a dock (looks kinda like Fuduntu)
anyone know a distro that has a dock ??:confused:

MG&TL
August 27th, 2012, 01:03 AM
3GB of RAM is more than enough. What matters is CPU and graphics unit.

Just about every distribution has a dock, you can usually choose from Cairo Dock, Docky, AWN and many others. Personally, I'm a fan of unity which is very dock-oriented and has an integrated launcher (basically a dock).

fuduntu
August 27th, 2012, 01:30 AM
I have a slower desktop with only 3 gb or ram I need something that is fast i prefer something with a dock (looks kinda like Fuduntu)
anyone know a distro that has a dock ??:confused:

Just use Fuduntu? \\:D/

uzumakifahim
August 27th, 2012, 04:25 AM
You can use dock with a little customization in almost every DE. I prefer Unity, as it is a dock integrated DE with great features.

Toz
August 27th, 2012, 04:39 AM
Moved to recurring.

MadmanRB
August 27th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Outside of ubuntu you may want to try pinguy OS that is laid out much like mac OSX

Lars Noodén
August 27th, 2012, 07:20 PM
The fastest GUIs are going to be plain Window managers without the full Desktop Environment added. FVWM, Openbox, and Fluxbox are three examples. If you want to see how much they can be customized, see the difference between FVWM and FVWM-crystal. Even for FVWM, you can add docks (http://www.zensites.net/fvwm/guide/advanced_buttons.html) and other extras.

TeamRocket1233c
August 27th, 2012, 09:19 PM
Base command-line Ubuntu install to start with.
Install ALSA and X.
Install Fluxbox.
Reboot.
Open up a terminal window and install whatever software you want from there.

Suggested setup should use 30 megs or less on idle. In addition, GDM and Synaptic are purely optional, startx and sudo apt-get install work just as good as GDM and Synaptic.

....Or you could burn off a Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Crunchbang, or AntiX disc and install any of those distros. :)

craig10x
August 29th, 2012, 02:04 AM
How about ubuntu 12.04 with cairo dock installed...then log into the "cairo dock session with unity panel" that gets created on your log in screen and you will have the global menu and mac style dock right on ubuntu! (and no unity dock)...
You will feel right at home ;)

vexorian
August 29th, 2012, 01:50 PM
I have 2GB of RAM and running compiz' unity without further issues.

My GPU is also not that good, a nvidia 8400gs, was a low tier card in 2008.

My CPU is a Core 2 duo overclocked to 3.1 Ghz. Maybe that's my main advantage.

I noticed that switching to 64 bits ubuntu fixed just about all the performance issues I had with default desktop.

WinterMadness
September 6th, 2012, 12:58 AM
i ran kde4.something with less than a gig of ram, but no effects(probably could have had effects, dunno though, never bothered). it ran fine, no lagging.

but if you like fuduntu, use it. you can use a dock on any distro as well

Mr.Dunham
September 15th, 2012, 06:54 AM
I'm on Xubuntu 12.04 and it runs really fast on my machine, which is a single-core AMD Sempron. Tried Ubuntu 12.04 but switching from Unity to the Gnome-based UI, and it ran fine too.

Anyways, use your favorite search engine to look for "lightweight ubuntu", there's some good stuff out there.

black veils
September 15th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Linux Mint 13 xfce or Xubuntu will give you plenty of configuration options, yet lighter on graphics etc

then install docky.

vexorian
September 15th, 2012, 02:28 PM
(all are opinions)
LXDE : Definitely fastest UI I tried. Definitely not the best.
Unity: Definitely best UI I tried. Definitely not the fastest.

I would recommend 3GB of RAM, a 64 bits ubuntu and a well supported GPU to run unity. But full screen games are not an option. You would have to do like me and switch to another sesion before playing these games.