PDA

View Full Version : My mission, Battlefield 2

w1z4rd
June 27th, 2006, 07:13 PM
Im addicted to the game, its the only game I really play, and I have no intention of stopping any time soon. There has to be a way to get this game running on linux even if it means going on a hunger strike outside EA`s offices. I dont care, im going to get it running.

Ive tried getting it running on Cedega.... and it does for a bit.... until punk buster owns me. Ive been in contact with evenbalance, and until EA games push out linux support for the game, theyre not going to support the linux apps like cedega.

For the records, cedega claim to be talking to evenbalance about this. Thats a lie. You can get information about that here: http://transgaming.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=36069#36069

Sooo, any suggestions anyone? I have decent enough hardware, so prehaps I can get battlefield 2 running on something like VMware? I dont wanna duel boot to play the game, any alternative to a duel boot... any.... please....

Polygon
June 27th, 2006, 08:17 PM
im sure you can play on non pb enabled servers, but then i think you wont be able to play on ranked servers either.....

w1z4rd
June 27th, 2006, 08:21 PM
im sure you can play on non pb enabled servers, but then i think you wont be able to play on ranked servers either.....

I need the ranked part of things, im pretty high up the food chain as far as the games go, and there are no unranked servers in my country, and since my country has a terrible monopoly telecoms company that SEVERELY overcharges us for local bandwidth (we have the highest telecoms rates in the world), playing on an international server is going to be impossible

Rosenrot
June 27th, 2006, 08:31 PM
cedaga may be asking evenbalance for support
but since evenbalance seems like a bunch of ignorant bums to me

i guess you won't be seeing it on linux any times soon : /

and Polygon's advice would work but as he said you can't play on the ranked servers....

someone should start a petition against those microsoft oriented company's
I would but i don't know how

linux is 5% of the computer market and the majority of linux users enjoys games(as it seems)

about 10% of the market is Mac

and the rest is windows

and most windows users(about 60% of them) don't run games at all
just internet and microsoft office etc.

so they might mabey make profit or they just might raise the price for the linux distrobution
but id rather play a game on linux then Windows

w1z4rd
June 27th, 2006, 09:07 PM
cedaga may be asking evenbalance for support
but since evenbalance seems like a bunch of ignorant bums to me

i guess you won't be seeing it on linux any times soon : /

and Polygon's advice would work but as he said you can't play on the ranked servers....

someone should start a petition against those microsoft oriented company's
I would but i don't know how

linux is 5% of the computer market and the majority of linux users enjoys games(as it seems)

about 10% of the market is Mac

and the rest is windows

and most windows users(about 60% of them) don't run games at all
just internet and microsoft office etc.

so they might mabey make profit or they just might raise the price for the linux distrobution
but id rather play a game on linux then Windows

I can make a petition, have one going at http://www.antitrust.co.za/petition (but for non-gaming reasons). hmm... yeah.... ill get on it

w1z4rd
June 27th, 2006, 10:20 PM
What really annoys me, is these vendors will so quickly produce a game, but the server for that game will be run on an open source system, but they`ll completely disregard the hand that feeds them :/

Stealth
June 27th, 2006, 11:13 PM
You can help the guys at WINE (http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=2424) run BF2 by reporting everything you find, and reporting bugs (http://bugs.winehq.org/)...

The ONLY way to currently play BF2, is via Cedega. Unfortunately.

w1z4rd
June 27th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Yup, way ahead of you there... got cedega.. got wine.. i can get the game up and running with cedega, but i cant play on a ranked server with it. and without the ranking... its just not cricket

undertaker
June 28th, 2006, 04:28 AM
be patient sounds like we may possibly get are wish in the next beta,for now try F.E.A.R. ded.server. it works great on ubuntu.

abowman
June 28th, 2006, 04:48 AM
Sooo, any suggestions anyone? I have decent enough hardware, so prehaps I can get battlefield 2 running on something like VMware? I dont wanna duel boot to play the game, any alternative to a duel boot... any.... please....

I don't understand what your reasoning is for not wanting to duel boot if you don't have a problem with running windows in VMware?

agtownz
March 5th, 2008, 01:23 AM
Any Linux solutions for BF2 at the moment are utter crap so all you got left is Windows.

jester805
January 26th, 2009, 09:25 PM
Anyone ever come up with a solution for this?? I'm the same way about playing BF2. I love it and I would love to get the client to run on Linux.

scheuri
January 27th, 2009, 01:01 PM
Hi all

To make long explanations short:
Go back to Windows!

Longer explanation:
Linux (and I am not only speaking about the distribution "ubuntu") is not primarly a platform used to play games. This is a fact. Period. There is NO way around this fact!

Yes, there are open source as well as closed source games which you can download and install NATIVELY (without Wine or cedega) and they work. Some work better, some others do not (mostly those who are in a early stage of development).

Yes, there are closed source games (mostly) which work using either Wine or Cedega. Some of them work nearly perfectly, some work well with a few features not working...

And yes...there are games which SIMPLY DO NOT WORK WITH LINUX.
That is a simple fact.

Do not get me wrong here.
I play a load of games. And I stopped using MS Windows some time ago. I just play game which either can be installed natively or I have at least an idea that they might work with wine.
For everything else I will shortly reactivate my windows computer.

It is simple.
If you are eager to play games...and it does not matter a specific one or a wide range...in most cases windows is your choice.
The number of games available on linux (compared to windows) is rather low.
So it is up to you if you get happy with the games available or not.

If you do not...then back to windows. And I do not mean that in a bad way.
Linux is just (not yet) a primary market for game development.