PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Setup to use the existing VLAN

bakegoodz
August 25th, 2012, 04:07 PM
I setting up some servers, but the Network Admin set it up so I have to use VLAN 51. It was easy on my ESXi server I just put in the 51 into the VLAN menu. I can't find what I need to put /etc/network/interfaces on my Ubuntu server. All the the instructions I find instruct how to create a VLAN in Linux. I just want it to use existing VLAN 51. How do I do that?

darkod
August 25th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I think it's very easy, in /etc/network/interfaces you simply use something like eth0.51 instead of eth0.

Have you tried that?

LHammonds
August 25th, 2012, 04:25 PM
I guess your VLAN is not controlled by the IP addresses being used? For my network, I do not have to concern myself with VLANs. That is handled by my switch/router guy. I don't have to do anything at the server configuration level.

The Cog
August 25th, 2012, 04:25 PM
You need to install the vlan module first:

sudo apt-get install vlan
You may need to then load the vlan module:

sudo modprobe 8021q
Then you can add the vlan to the physical interface:

sudo /sbin/vconfig add eth0 51

But this guide looks good:
http://www.mysidenotes.com/2007/08/17/vlan-configuration-on-ubuntu-debian/

bakegoodz
August 25th, 2012, 04:35 PM
Awesome Thanks. :guitar: Yea!, I'll have to manually install the deb file on a flash drive before I can get network service.

bakegoodz
August 28th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Awesome, thanks! Turned out VMware ESXi handles VLAN tagging, so it not needed on the Ubuntu server running in ESXi. I needed to put VLAN 51 in also "VM Network", not just the Management Network.