PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Mint

tc101
August 24th, 2012, 06:14 PM
I have been a happy user of Ubuntu 10.04 for two years. When the new LTS 12.04 came out I intended to switch, but I don't like unity. Mint Cinnamon seems to be what I am looking for.

I wonder if Unity is the wave of the future, or just a passing fad. In a few years will everyone be using something similar to unity, or will the old menu driven OS like Mint Cinnamon still be popular?

Bucky Ball
August 24th, 2012, 08:23 PM
Moved to Recurring Discussions.

synaptix
August 24th, 2012, 10:00 PM
I suggest checking out Mint 13 XFCE edition. It's rock solid and blazing fast.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=2088

Linuxratty
August 25th, 2012, 03:26 AM
I wonder if Unity is the wave of the future, or just a passing fad. In a few years will everyone be using something similar to unity, or will the old menu driven OS like Mint Cinnamon still be popular?

I think Unity is here to stay,as to the more traditional de's, I think there will be a place for them as well.

mamamia88
August 25th, 2012, 04:07 AM
I have been a happy user of Ubuntu 10.04 for two years. When the new LTS 12.04 came out I intended to switch, but I don't like unity. Mint Cinnamon seems to be what I am looking for.

Unity is getting better but not as good as other options in my opinion yet. Correct me if i'm wrong but cinnamon seems to be a modded version of gnome-shell which you can get pretty much the exact same setup using extensions. Personally I like the wallpapers they have compared to ubuntu and a few visual tweaks but i still stick with ubuntu.

MadmanRB
August 25th, 2012, 04:37 AM
Mint is a mixed bag for me rigbht now.
For one cinnemon is very promising for those who want a more traditional desktop interface but with a modern twist but it still lacks a lot of customization features that say KDE or even Gnome shell offer.
As much as I hate gnome shell it is very easy to install extensions for it to make it look the way you want it to but it takes ages if you want it to look like say windows or OSX.
Unity has the opposite problem, it feels better by default as a desktop UI but without the ability to tweak it unity leaves a lot to be desired.

Ravi5kumar
August 25th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Why I don't like mint because it is another Ubuntu with a green theme. And they use different DE which is just a fork of the main DE...........

BigSilly
August 25th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Why I don't like mint because it is another Ubuntu with a green theme. And they use different DE which is just a fork of the main DE...........

So it's OK for Ubuntu to do exactly that, but not Mint...?

My thoughts are Mint is an awesome distro, based on an awesome distro, with a great deal to offer regular PC users. I don't get the ugliness between the users when it comes to Ubuntu and Mint.

Bucky Ball
August 25th, 2012, 12:12 PM
From the Forums Code of Conduct:

Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to other operating systems and the companies that produce them.Just a friendly reminder before this thread crosses that line ... ;)

synaptix
August 25th, 2012, 12:48 PM

Ubuntu is just Debian with another name and theme, your point? Mint is a polished version of Ubuntu, a great deal of people will agree to this statement.

Mint also does a direct Debian Edition, cutting out Ubuntu as the middle man, which I've read works pretty nicely which is expected of Debian and derivatives.

MadmanRB
August 25th, 2012, 01:47 PM
Yeah that is a valid point, though the matter that Mint is more polished is up for debate now thanks to all the experimentation with cinnamon.

BigSilly
August 25th, 2012, 02:29 PM
Not sure what you're getting at, but for me customisation is much better on Cinnamon that Shell at the moment, and the whole thing feels very polished. I'm a big fan, and it runs lovely on Ubuntu too, as well as Mint.

Not that I'm dissing Unity. I think that has really developed into a rather marvellous thing. I look at W8, and to me it pales next to Unity in a big way.

synaptix
August 25th, 2012, 02:39 PM
Yeah that is a valid point, though the matter that Mint is more polished is up for debate now thanks to all the experimentation with cinnamon.

I don't base my thoughts on an OS based on what it looks like... I base it off of how well the OS performs.

alexis44
August 25th, 2012, 02:40 PM
I just migrated from Ubuntu 10.10 to Mint 13 Mate Version. I was overall pretty satisfied with Ubuntu. It was the first distro of Linux I had ever used. With the little experience I've had, I seem to gravitate to a Gnome or similar environment. I tried 12.04 with Unity but didn't find it user-friendly enough. I also had an error when I booted to the effect of "Frequency out of Range". I had a similar problem with Mint, but was able to fix it with a program called "Start-up Manager". I had to adjust the resolution thru Grub with it. It works fine now. It doesn't seem to be much different than Ubuntu 10.10. I wanted an upgrade but didn't like Unity. It's good that I had another option. :)

MadmanRB
August 25th, 2012, 02:53 PM
Not sure what you're getting at, but for me customisation is much better on Cinnamon that Shell at the moment, and the whole thing feels very polished. I'm a big fan, and it runs lovely on Ubuntu too, as well as Mint.

I it is the opposite is true, mainly because its easier to add extensions to gnome shell then it is cinnamon.
Cinnamon needs an easier way to made modifications to it.

I don't base my thoughts on an OS based on what it looks like... I base it off of how well the OS performs.

Maybe but it still stands that cinnamon is still very new and it does have a fair share of issues (as did unity at first mind you) I think that cinnamon is good but its got some time to go before its a viable alternative to Gnome shell or unity.

BigSilly
August 25th, 2012, 02:59 PM
I it is the opposite is true, mainly because its easier to add extensions to gnome shell then it is cinnamon.
Cinnamon needs an easier way to made modifications to it.

Possibly, but the suggestion was that it was lacking customisation compared to Shell, and that isn't the full picture. There's a lot of options on the Cinnamon site, and it features quite possibly the nicest weather applet I've ever seen.

As you say, it's very early days yet for Cinnamon, but to me its easily already carved its niche. It's already a viable alternative for me, anyway. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to any user, in spite of its youth.

MadmanRB
August 25th, 2012, 03:47 PM
What cinnamon needs is an extension manager of some type, the way to add new extensions into it currently is a real pain.

BigSilly
August 25th, 2012, 03:51 PM
What cinnamon needs is an extension manager of some type, the way to add new extensions into it currently is a real pain.

I'm sure I read somewhere that they have one in the pipeline. Having said that though, it's only the same as installing themes used to be on old Ubuntu!

MadmanRB
August 25th, 2012, 06:43 PM
I'm sure I read somewhere that they have one in the pipeline. Having said that though, it's only the same as installing themes used to be on old Ubuntu!

Or the new ubuntu for that matter, seriously I hate Gnome3 for taking away a good theme selector and forcing us to use a piece of software that we have to download.
Advanced settings my foot, but you need it to choose themes in unity as the default theme manager in system settings only knows the light themes (the dumb rotten piece of you know what)

irv
August 25th, 2012, 07:27 PM
I am one who watches distrowatch and am checking out new and improved Linux OS's, and have tried many of them, Mint included. In fact I did more then try it, I gave it a good try. Now this is just my opinion.

Mint to me was a lot like Gnome 2.X with the panels and menus and all that stuff. Which by the way is nice. By the way I like Xfce DE also. But I feel deep down that this is yesterday's thing. I didn't just run out an grab a hold of Unity or Gnome 3 when it first came out. I tried them both along with other OS but finial settle in with Ubuntu 12.04 with Unity. Now that I have been using it for some time now, I find I really like it. Maybe I felt all along that it was the way of the future and that going back to the panel/menu etc. OS's I would be moving backwards.

I will still keep watching what is coming out but for now I am staying with what I feel is the the future not the past.

tc101
August 26th, 2012, 02:27 AM
How do you change themes in Mint Cinammon? How do you do screen savers?

vasa1
August 26th, 2012, 04:09 AM

If you don't mind my asking, don't you feel you'll find more Mint users (and hence a better chance of getting a better answer) over here (http://forums.linuxmint.com/)?

It's really puzzling to me when someone who needs help with Distro A keeps asking on a forum not specific to Distro A when there is a forum specific to Distro A. Maybe there's something going on that I don't understand :)

zombifier25
August 26th, 2012, 04:36 AM
If you don't mind my asking, don't you feel you'll find more Mint users (and hence a better chance of getting a better answer) over here (http://forums.linuxmint.com/)?

It's really puzzling to me when someone who needs help with Distro A keeps asking on a forum not specific to Distro A when there is a forum specific to Distro A. Maybe there's something going on that I don't understand :)

Welcome to the Internet, the Algorithm's first frontier.

vasa1
August 26th, 2012, 04:44 AM
Welcome to the Internet, the Algorithm's first frontier.
I don't understand that either. Come to think of it, there's a lot I don't understand :)

deadflowr
August 26th, 2012, 04:48 AM

Maybe this is why:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2046633

Other forums lack a certain level of etiquette and manner.

And response time here is phenomenally fast. Questions get answered sometimes in minutes, where as other forums, I've seen questions awaiting any answer for weeks to months.

Peripheral Visionary
August 26th, 2012, 11:01 AM

Mint is built from Ubuntu (which in turn is built from Debian). It makes perfect sense for a Mint user to turn to Ubuntu forums for help once in a while, and it's nice that UF has a sub-forum for discussion of other distros. Let's not chase Mint users away for bringing their questions here! When I was a Mint user (wow, almost a year ago now since I started using Linux!) this was the forum to go for help in a hurry. The Mint community was a lot smaller than this one and help was often days or weeks in coming, as opposed to minutes or hours here on UF.

vasa1
August 26th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Mint is built from Ubuntu (which in turn is built from Debian). It makes perfect sense for a Mint user to turn to Ubuntu forums for help once in a while, and it's nice that UF has a sub-forum for discussion of other distros. Let's not chase Mint users away for bringing their questions here! When I was a Mint user (wow, almost a year ago now since I started using Linux!) this was the forum to go for help in a hurry. The Mint community was a lot smaller than this one and help was often days or weeks in coming, as opposed to minutes or hours here on UF.

Thanks for the history lesson about what is built from what :)

Why do you feel asking why a person prefers asking about another distro is intended to chase them away?

irv
August 26th, 2012, 12:51 PM

I don't use Mint, but I would think that Ubuntu Tweak would run in Mint Cinammon, and that is what I use to change themes.

BigSilly
August 26th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I don't use Mint, but I would think that Ubuntu Tweak would run in Mint Cinammon, and that is what I use to change themes.

I wouldn't use Ubuntu Tweak on Mint. It's pretty much purpose built for Ubuntu's use case, not Mint's or Cinnamon's. Your best bet is just to use the Cinnamon settings panel. You'll find many pre-loaded themes to try out. Otherwise you can pop to Cinnamon themes (http://cinnamon-spices.linuxmint.com/themes), and extract any you download to /usr/share/themes or .themes, just like the old days. ;) You can then go back into the Cinnamon settings and select your new theme. You may find, much like Gnome Shell, that you might have to restart the Cinnamon shell for it to take. Either Alt-F2, then r and enter, or click settings on the panel, then Troubleshoot, then Restart Cinnamon.

irv
August 26th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks for the history lesson about what is built from what :)

Why do you feel asking why a person prefers asking about another distro is intended to chase them away?

In post 22 you seemed to be discriminating against Mint users for being on the Ubuntu forum. At least that's the way you came across to me.
Maybe you should have just been a little more friendly and tried to offer a little help Like my post above this.
A kind word will gain more friends and an unkind word will turn people away.
Most people out here are just looking for an answer to a question no matter what distor they are running.

vasa1
August 26th, 2012, 02:05 PM
In post 22 you seemed to be discriminating against Mint users for being on the Ubuntu forum. At least that's the way you came across to me.
Maybe you should have just been a little more friendly and tried to offer a little help Like my post above this.
A kind word will gain more friends and an unkind word will turn people away.
Most people out here are just looking for an answer to a question no matter what distor they are running.

How does expressing curiosity about why someone does something that seems counterintuitive to me come across as "discriminating"? But you aren't alone. The other poster also feels that asking "why" amounts to chasing away users.

Let me state my case again: if I want an answer to a question, I'll post it in the most appropriate place. To my mind, a question about adding themes to Mint would be more likely to find a more authoritative answer if asked in the Mint forum than here.

On the other hand, it's possible that the question has been asked there as well. I don't know.

There has been an occasion when I posted essentially the same question in two different forums. In that case, I mentioned that I've posted elsewhere (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2003403) and provided the link. But apparently that's not necessary.

irv
August 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM
How does expressing curiosity about why someone does something that seems counterintuitive to me come across as "discriminating"? But you aren't alone. The other poster also feels that asking "why" amounts to chasing away users.

Let me state my case again: if I want an answer to a question, I'll post it in the most appropriate place. To my mind, a question about adding themes to Mint would be more likely to find a more authoritative answer if asked in the Mint forum than here.

On the other hand, it's possible that the question has been asked there as well. I don't know.

There has been an occasion when I posted essentially the same question in two different forums. In that case, I mentioned that I've posted elsewhere (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2003403) and provided the link. But apparently that's not necessary.
Don't take it wrong, (right or wrong), all I said, that's the way it came across to me. All we are doing here is arguing over words. The subject of this tread is "Thoughts on Mint".
The truth of the matter is there are many many Mint user on this forum. The total number of members on this forum is much greater that that of the Mint forum, and like it was already said getting help here is much faster and greater then even a forum for Mint users. The smart thing to do is to do a search on the Internet for and answer to the question and see where it leads. (The Mint or Ubuntu forum or even elsewhere).

Bucky Ball
August 26th, 2012, 03:27 PM
All we are doing here is arguing over words.

Agreed. Please remember the UForums are primarily support forums. ;)

Thread Closed. Reason: Circular motion ...