PDA

View Full Version : Why Dual Boot?

Cycledoc
August 24th, 2012, 04:53 PM
I have been playing with Ubuntu and variations for a few years now. Currently using 12.04 on a Dell XPS 15 dual booted with Windows 7. No real problems but I made several minor adjustments to meet my personal needs.

But I can't seem to give up Windows 7 for two major and one minor reasons. The first is the inability to get Overdrive Media Console to work, I use it to download audio books from my library. The second is the inability sync my ipod touch ios 4.2.1 easily. (tried rhythmbox, banshee and others without luck). The third is less serious because I have other ways of streaming, is Ubuntu's/linux's not working with Netflix streaming.

I have no problems with the Ubuntu interface, I'm growing comfortable with unity and it is a very quick responsive system. Still I need to dual boot and therein lies the problem for Ubuntu (in my case) and why it won't for the foreseeable future be my only system and may have difficulty getting market share if Windows 8 is the bust that everyone expects.

If anyone has a solution to the above issues I'm all ears.

Many thanks

Mark Phelps
August 24th, 2012, 07:13 PM
The problems you mentioned (among others) is why many of us continue to dual-boot and will so, for the future.

As to Win8 and market share, success or bust, that will have no effect on Ubuntu usage.

Lisiano
August 24th, 2012, 07:35 PM
You could try to use Wine to run Overdrive Media Console.
I don't use Apple products so I can't help with syncing.
Netflix won't work and so it seems they will never support Linux due to them wanting to have DRM.

If your system is powerful enough, you could try running Windows in VMware (Paid) or in VirtualBox (Free). You could do all 3 things in a VM.

As for Windows 8, if you tried it, you wouldn't say it will take over the market. This is my personal opinion but I think Windows 8 became too much Touch oriented. Also the settings are fragmented, you can't change any day-to-day use settings without changing between Desktop and Metro mode. Again, this is just my opinion.
I agree with Mark Phelps though, if Win8 is still a success, the Linux market share won't drop, if anything, only the Win7 and XP share will drop.

Bucky Ball
August 24th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

jerome1232
August 24th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Netflix won't work and so it seems they will never support Linux due to them wanting to have DRM.

More specifically, they are using a Microsoft DRM and Microsoft refused to license it to Linux based desktops stating they "feared it being cracked". You can however, stream netflix on tons of devices running Linux kernels and/or modified Linux kernels, because Microsoft doesn't "fear it being cracked" there.

Sorry I couldn't resist the rant.

Lisiano
August 24th, 2012, 08:03 PM
More specifically, they are using a Microsoft DRM and Microsoft refused to license it to Linux based desktops stating they "feared it being cracked". You can however, stream netflix on tons of devices running Linux kernels and/or modified Linux kernels, because Microsoft doesn't "fear it being cracked" there.

Sorry I couldn't resist the rant.

Learning something new every thread.

Cycledoc
August 26th, 2012, 01:39 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

Regarding WINE, it apparently, from others experiences, doesn't help with Overdrive. I'm sure it's a DRM issue as well.

My main point and concern is that Linux/Ubuntu will have problems if marketed as a sole OS on a computer until it can do what are basic functions for many people. Until then I will use Ubuntu with another OS to obtain full function.

Using Windows in a virtual environment is indeed an option but it means you still have to purchase a Windows license.

vexorian
August 26th, 2012, 01:42 PM
You could just get used to not using media overdrive?

Why does everyone assume that everything they use is a basic function?

jerome1232
August 26th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the thoughtful replies.

Regarding WINE, it apparently, from others experiences, doesn't help with Overdrive. I'm sure it's a DRM issue as well.

My main point and concern is that Linux/Ubuntu will have problems if marketed as a sole OS on a computer until it can do what are basic functions for many people. Until then I will use Ubuntu with another OS to obtain full function.

Using Windows in a virtual environment is indeed an option but it means you still have to purchase a Windows license.

Right, let the guys that make media overdrive know you want them to make their product for Linux as well. Let Microsoft know you'd like to use their DRM on Linux.

I've never understood why people think it's the Ubuntu developers fault that "random application" doesn't have a Linux version available.

MadmanRB
August 26th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Indeed.
Now personally i still use win 7 on occasion but to be honest i do feel more at home in linux due to the flexibility of the OS to suit my needs.

mamamia88
August 28th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Dualbooting is a pain in the ***. If i needed windows at all then I would be using windows. But having a linux distro on your computer can be helpful even if you don't use it. Say you need to delete a troublesome file on your windows partition but it won't let you. just boot linux do a sudo rm /path to file