PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] email can be sent but not receieved

briceorbryce
August 24th, 2012, 12:31 PM
Hi all,
I (think) I can send emails but I can't receive them.

I have two virtualbox ubuntu (12.04) servers that have DNS, Postfix, Dovecot, and Squirrelmail on them.
ubuntu has DNS and Squirrelmail
ubuntu2 has Postfix and Dovecot
^The hostnames

I can sign in with both user and fmaster into squirrelmail
Just to be sure, the email address is "user@hostname.domain.name" right?

I was able to send email from root using:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PostfixBasicSetupHowto
Although the last few emails I sent stopped working (I think it's because I changed the way postfix works - the errors I got were about:

Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; cannot update mailbox /home/user/Maildir for user
user. cannot open file: Is a directory
I also read that resolv.conf might be a problem but since you can't edit it, you have to edit /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf right?

prepend domain-name-servers 192.168.1.2;My router assigns them IPs so I don't worry about the /etc/network/interfaces. Could that be causing the problem?

Also when I hit alt+< on the ubuntu login screen I see:

apaceh2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.1.1 for ServerName Is that telling me my settings aren't pointing to itself correctly?

Not calling it mail.domain.name is okay right? Just not the norm?

TBH I think the problem is either the DNS settings, or the postfix configuration. Any thoughts, ideas, questions, comments are welcomed. I ran nslookup and dig mx and it looked fine but I'm not entirely sure it is.

Thanks for any help ):P

angryfirelord
August 25th, 2012, 01:19 AM
You may want to look at this post: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=12190942&postcount=2

briceorbryce
August 25th, 2012, 11:45 AM
The thing that really got me is that I am using an internal DNS server. And I don't know if increasing the serial number worked or if I used the correct "way" to email out but it works.
I think I was trying to send email out to a different machine which didn't have IMAP on it.
Since postfix and dovecot are on ubuntu2, the correct email address is:
user@ubuntu2.domain.name

What's odd is when I receive an email it comes from ubuntu.domain.name and if I reply to the email using that hostname it doesn't get sent. I have to change the hostname from the ubuntu to ubuntu2.
*shrugs* it works at least. That's something.