PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Best server OS

ZDroid
August 21st, 2012, 09:50 PM
I am looking for great Server OS for home server. I am great with Ubuntu and I know for Ubuntu Server OS.

What FULLY FREE server OS are the best for home server and profesional work?

thnewguy
August 21st, 2012, 10:46 PM
For home I'd say you're probably best off sticking with Ubuntu Server. For professional work in enterprise environments you might also consider CentOS which is a free version of Red Hat. It's generally highly regarded.

LHammonds
August 21st, 2012, 10:56 PM
Ditto what thnewguy said. Except I am using Ubuntu at work as well. Seems to be doing just fine by me. If I had more pressing needs, I might instead switch to CentOS but the Ubuntu community is pretty awesome.

Much of what you select will be based on your level of comfort, familiarity and skill set. A Linux guru can switch between many flavors of Linux without a problem...a newbie can get confused and overwhelmed really quick so it may be wise to stick with a friendly one if you're new to Linux.

LHammonds

vandorjw
August 21st, 2012, 10:59 PM
When you said "OS", I assume you actually meant to say, Linux-distribution?

For professional work environment, I would strongly suggest going with a paid-support service. (Red-hat, or Canonical).

But for home, ubuntu-server is fine, but I like Debian the best.

It really depends on what you would like your server to do that makes it best.

If you want to set up a 'build-server' (for compiling code into binary files) then I would recommend gentoo-linux.

For a media server, I would suggested whichever distro comes with the most bug free samba-server set up. (IMHO that would either be arch-linux)

Web-server, I would suggest Debian.

File/FTP server, I would pick debian again.

Either way, these are only my opinions and are completely based on personal preference, and not scored on some sort of grid. Just pick any distro you feel like playing with and if you need help, just post your questions and we'll try and help you out.

Cheers - cc7

miegiel
August 22nd, 2012, 12:01 AM
Judging by what's running out there in the wild it's a draw between debian stable and centOS. Usually operated by people who don't need paid support. I got hooked on debian because it's more familiar (coming from ubuntu) and I like it's philosophy more.

CharlesA
August 22nd, 2012, 12:13 AM
Scientific > CentOS imo, but that might be cuz I do not have a good feeling about CentOS after the whole "lagging security update" fiasco (http://www.mentby.com/Group/scientific-linux-users/centos-vs-sl-security-updates-dot-releases.html)(which is not resolved, apparently)

But the point is, use whatever works for you. I have used Debian, Scientific, CentOS, Ubuntu and Gentoo (ogod) as server OSes and as long as you know what you are doing, it doesn't matter what distro you use.

ZDroid
August 22nd, 2012, 08:00 AM
Thanks!

ZDroid
August 22nd, 2012, 03:55 PM
I chose Ubuntu server OS.