PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to uninstall it?

speedman2202
August 21st, 2012, 02:43 PM
hello guys

it's seems that i cant use ubuntu and i have to use Lubutnu ...i have dual boot (winxp , ubuntu) i just want uninstall ubuntu to get install lubuntu and remove Grup menu when my pc boot up and i hope someone give me link to install Lubuntu

thx

sandyd
August 21st, 2012, 03:04 PM
If you remove the grub menu - how are you going to boot into windows?

Frogs Hair
August 21st, 2012, 03:08 PM
You can install Lubuntu on the same partition as Ubuntu and this would simply overwrite Ubuntu. I have a Win 7 and Ubuntu dual boot and am not familiar with the Lubuntu installation process or dual booting with XP.

http://launchintolinux.wordpress.com/2012/04/04/installing-lubuntu-a-step-by-step-guide-to-dual-booting/

Bufeu
August 21st, 2012, 03:09 PM
If you remove the grub menu - how are you going to boot into windows?Using Windows' own bootloader?

black veils
August 21st, 2012, 03:10 PM
you only need to use the lubuntu install media to install over ubuntu, keeping your dual-boot. follow the wizard, and choose to replace ubuntu, make sure you are choosing the correct option! and before anything, backup your data.

d (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu)ownload (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/GetLubuntu)

marlow59
August 21st, 2012, 03:45 PM
just go on with the process of installing Lubuntu, and choose the advanced installation mode to chose the partition to install Lubuntu on : point it to the Ubuntu partition and that's it. You can't remove GRUB and keep the dualboot. it's highly recommended to keep grub and not mess up with Boot-loaders if you're not an experimented user.

speedman2202
August 21st, 2012, 03:46 PM
if i dont want install lubuntu and remove ubuntu from my pc .... just del ubuntu partitions only??? or it will grup menu will still remain :|

thx all for replay

marlow59
August 21st, 2012, 03:54 PM
you may only format the ubuntu partition then =)

Bufeu
August 21st, 2012, 03:58 PM
if i dont want install lubuntu and remove ubuntu from my pc .... just del ubuntu partitions only??? or it will grup menu will still remain :|

thx all for replayJust remove the partitions Ubuntu is installed on and use your Windows CD to start "System Repair" (follow this guide (http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html)), or use a live-CD of Ubuntu to install Windows' own bootloader: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=4635639&postcount=6.

marlow59
August 21st, 2012, 04:04 PM
I can't follow you right know. What do you want to do? uninstall ubuntu and let only windows on your pc, or install lubuntu over it or what ?

speedman2202
August 21st, 2012, 04:08 PM
I can't follow you right know. What do you want to do? uninstall ubuntu and let only windows on your pc, or install lubuntu over it or what ?
both

uninstall ubuntu and let only windows on your pc and install lubuntu over it

marlow59
August 21st, 2012, 04:41 PM
So finally you want a pc with only lubuntu on it, right ?

sandyd
August 21st, 2012, 06:56 PM
both

uninstall ubuntu and let only windows on your pc and install lubuntu over it
Then you can't remove grub.

There can only be one main bootloader installed in the MBR.

The Windows bootloader does not work with linux.

Right now, just do this.

Boot into Lubuntu, and run

sudo apt-get remove ubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop
^^THAT will install the default ubuntu desktop. When you get to the login screen next time, select "Unity" as your desktop.

No need to uninstall

speedman2202
August 22nd, 2012, 02:00 AM
So finally you want a pc with only lubuntu on it, right ?

no , i just wanna know ...how to remove ubuntu and make my windows boot with it's own bootloader ...... and also know how to remove ubuntu and install/overwrite lubuntu just in case ......if u have another clear instruction , i would like to know ... thx :)

Then you can't remove grub.

There can only be one main bootloader installed in the MBR.

The Windows bootloader does not work with linux.

Right now, just do this.

Boot into Lubuntu, and run

sudo apt-get remove lubuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop
^^THAT will install the default ubuntu desktop. When you get to the login screen next time, select "Unity" as your desktop.

No need to uninstall

ok , i will boot with lubuntu cd and go live and do ur command ... but i whave two partion for ubuntu ( /boot , /swap) ... so am i remain them or just del them if i am going to install lubuntu???

also if i just wanna remove ubuntu system from my whole computer and want mt winxp boot with its own bootloader???

thx for replay and help .... i am appreciate that :)

sandyd
August 22nd, 2012, 06:00 AM
Oops - read a bit fast and got a bit mixed up ;) , sorry about that.

Can you boot into Ubuntu right now?

If you can, just run the fixed commands above, and that should install lubuntu through its metapackage. If not, install Lubuntu over it

If you want to remove Ubuntu, you will have to reinstall/store the Windows Bootloader, as Grub is linked to your L/Ubuntu installation.