August 21st, 2012, 09:59 PM
Make it a fair fight and add Ubuntu Classic to the list please

timhalo
August 21st, 2012, 11:36 PM
gnome2 for now.
lxde when thats no longer possible....

synaptix
August 21st, 2012, 11:43 PM
Gnome 2 was awesome when I entered the Linux world. :)

I quite like Gnome Classic (No effects) now and I'm getting back into liking XFCE again.

walker195
August 23rd, 2012, 02:02 AM
who has tried KDE 4.9 plasma thats what i use i quite like its a beautiful interface and includes lots of extras. its sleek and very customizable my favorite gnome 3.4 is second

vandorjw
August 23rd, 2012, 02:14 AM
Gnome3

Intuitive, (my computer illiterate parents were able to use it with minimal/no help)

I find the only people who have problems with it are those who already know how a UI should be laid out. Those too stubborn or old to accept changes.

walker195
August 23rd, 2012, 03:17 AM
Gnome3

Intuitive, (my computer illiterate parents were able to use it with minimal/no help)

I find the only people who have problems with it are those who already know how a UI should be laid out. Those too stubborn or old to accept changes.

ya i see what you mean i like it for the simplicity and kde was confusing at first i just like the widgets and themes you can use

mrreality13
August 23rd, 2012, 09:39 AM
lxde
for the clean look and saves resorces

SJR Dorset
August 23rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
xfce/xubuntu

johnnybgoode83
August 23rd, 2012, 10:14 AM
This may be considered weird but I like Unity. I have tried Xubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu, Mint, Gnome Shell Remix; and every time I keep coming back to basic Ubuntu.

Saying that, I am looking forward to trying Elementary Luna.

walker195
August 23rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
i havent seen luna yet

MadmanRB
August 23rd, 2012, 11:25 AM
KDE, there is no competitor to it

synaptix
August 23rd, 2012, 02:39 PM
Could I also vote for the Windows 7 DE? xD

mzaam
August 23rd, 2012, 04:51 PM
E17
lightweight and able to perform flashy effect on my poor SiS graphic card

Jakin
August 23rd, 2012, 07:32 PM
My favorite was Ubuntu (gnome 2) since "Dapper" when it came around to 11.10, i really just did not like the layout at all of Unity or Gnome 3.
So first i tried out MATE and i just have no idea whats going on with it, but it has major issues, and i have even tried it again 2 weeks ago, graphical issues.
I tried Cinnoman, quite nice, i really don't have anything BAD to say about it, it just doesnt have all the things i want- yet. (as far as applets)
Then i tried KDE4.. now; i tried KDE3 long ago, and just plain didnt like it.. KDE4 was awesome! VERY customizable, and as some may have seen in the screenshots thread, i have made it as close as gnome 2 as i could (general appearance) and i still like the official Ubuntu colors, even if i dont like the official Ubuntu DE.

So... i vote KDE 4 :)

pcybill
August 23rd, 2012, 07:58 PM
LXDE

Because a desktop environment shouldn't get in the way.

TeamRocket1233c
August 23rd, 2012, 08:03 PM
Add the *box GUIs (Fluxbox and Openbox) to the list! ;)

robtygart
August 23rd, 2012, 08:12 PM
I use KDE and Gnome-Classic. Both are great, Gnome Classic is lighter but KDE wins!

BigSilly
August 23rd, 2012, 08:14 PM
Wot no Cinnamon?

I like 'em all. Don't have any issues running any Linux DE. But I'm currently using Cinnamon and really enjoying it. Had KDE on for the longest time, and that was awesome too.

walker195
August 23rd, 2012, 09:02 PM
wow alot of people like xfce and lxde i didnt expect that i just find them..... stale and dated but great for netbooks i feel KDE has flair lol

synaptix
August 23rd, 2012, 09:06 PM
wow alot of people like xfce and lxde

People prefer responsiveness over eye candy.

Jakin
August 23rd, 2012, 09:15 PM

MOST DE are pretty responsive in my opinion, but not all lightweight as far as their footprint (cpu/mem/ and how much hdd they actually take up)

Unity and Gnome 3 are responsive, even though i contantly say i dont like, its the layout that i cannot get used to, which apparently is not the issue with many others.

Just comes down to what the user feels works for them, versus the hardware they have to work with.

So this is more a, what layout do you like, rather than which do you think is a more powerful DE.

robtygart
August 23rd, 2012, 10:20 PM

My KDE is responsive! I am using a 6 year old laptop HP dv6000. It is a bit slower then if I used xfce, but its not slow enough to stick my nose up at.