PDA

View Full Version : [PPC] ibook g3 800

reelstuff
August 20th, 2012, 01:46 PM
I have an older ibook g3 that was given to me because the hard drive was failing and it appeared to just not work, I played around with this thing for a while and got it working but then the HD did in fact fail, so I started digging into my bag of toys and found an old laptop HD that would fit in there I installed the drive and since this unit does not have a DVD drive, I used TDM, to mount the new drive used the Disk Utility to setup the file system then is when I hit a brick wall.

I started looking for my old tiger install disks, or panther, and it was no where to be found, years old yes, I still have my old apple ll computer and software...

So I did the only logical thing, I asked my wife where is that card board box marked apple software...

To which she replied oh that old thing I threw it out last month...

So now its two weeks later and I refuse to pay someone $50 for a copy of panther.

since this old lappy never really ran well on OSX anyway I thought why not use an older version of Debian PPC to run this thing and that way I can get some use out of the booger.

My thoughts about this odd little project is what is the best method of installing this software on a new drive, any threads here or anywhere else would be greatly appreciated,

2blue
August 20th, 2012, 02:52 PM
The lighteste of the Ubuntu distros is lubuntu, and it should run fine on 800MHz. I haven`t tried powerpc cpu that low, but a Packard Bell with 700MHz (512 MB RAM), ran fine like any regular laptop (..well, not as snappy as the best ones). You have to choose alternate install CD for 128MB RAM if you don`t have extra laying about too (without wizard type install). In alternate iso you have to set swap to a generous size (1GB if you have hd space, could be less). In my experience, with a cpu like that, the system uses up to 300MB regularly, a large swap helps. USB install should be possible. Here (http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/12.04/release/) are the downloads.