PDA

View Full Version : Linux Mint 13 KDE vs Kubuntu 12.04: Is Mint KDE really better?

Superpelican12
August 17th, 2012, 08:32 AM
Hello everbody,

I'm trying to convert someone to a *buntu and I think KDE would be really perfect for him. However when I tried Kubuntu myself it ran decently, but I got a lot of crash reports etc. Also I read a few Kubuntu 12.04 reviews and they didn't seem to be really good either... Also a lot of people say Kubuntu is a bad KDE distro and much worse than the other *buntus. However most people seem to be really excited about Linux Mint KDE edition (which is based on Ubuntu, not Kubuntu).

So my question is: "Is Linux Mint KDE (as of version 13) really better than Kubuntu 12.04?"

I'm also looking at Cinnamon (which I'm probably going to "use" instead of KDE, if Linux Mint KDE is just as worse as Kubuntu). I myself am happily using Unity (it fits me just right), but I think maybe Unity is a bit to confusing (global menu bar, to distinguish running programs and closed programs in the dock etc.). However I myself am really fond of the search functionality and I would like to convert them to a *buntu distro which has a DE that also provides search (KDE, Unity and Cinnamon do). If XFCE had a search feature...

nothingspecial
August 17th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Superpelican12
August 17th, 2012, 09:50 AM
I'm sorry for posting this topic in the wrong section. I wasn't entirely sure in which I section I should post it...

BTW didn't know this was a recurring question, has it been asked many times before?

coldraven
August 17th, 2012, 11:08 AM
I'm using Mint 13 Cinnamon (64bit) and it works mostly well. It has a clean modern look.
This laptop is five years old and the video card (ATI X1250) has some problems using the open source driver, the proprietry driver stopped being supported after about Ubuntu 9.04. I cannot run Unity for example, the 3D capabilities just cannot cope.
But if I switch off the Cinnamon effects it works fine.
The bad news is that the Mint Software Manager is very buggy and my keyboard randomly stops working :(

I'm thinking the same as you, shall I go for pure Kubuntu or try the Mint version. As I already have a memory card with the Kubuntu installer on it I might try that first.
Did you read this by any chance?
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/75903.html

Erik1984
August 17th, 2012, 01:16 PM
I'm sorry for posting this topic in the wrong section. I wasn't entirely sure in which I section I should post it...

BTW didn't know this was a recurring question, has it been asked many times before?

In general "which distro is better" questions get moved to recurring.

OnT: I would be surprised if Linux Mint KDE performs significantly better or with less errors than Kubuntu. But I have no idea if package versions are different as Mint and Ubuntu have different release schedules.

vasa1
August 17th, 2012, 01:32 PM

Different people get different results ...

That's why, "Is A really better than B?" often ends up here :)

cottfcfan
August 17th, 2012, 02:13 PM
I've played with both Distros, Kubuntu 12.04 is my main O/S.
From my own experience Mint 13 KDE, is no better than Kubuntu with all the codecs installed, and appearance settings tweaked.
In act if anything I feel Kubuntu is slightly quicker.

Superpelican12
August 17th, 2012, 03:26 PM
Ok, thanks for the reply. For now I don't think it really matters as I'm stuck with trying to install Linux, see: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2043820

Also I decided to just choose Xubuntu. As the computer is going to be used as a real netbook. So the main requirement is that it boots really fast. And only few programs are going to be used (webbrowser, text editor etc.)

Jakin
August 17th, 2012, 05:29 PM
I've played with both Distros, Kubuntu 12.04 is my main O/S.
From my own experience Mint 13 KDE, is no better than Kubuntu [snip]

I agree with cottfcfan, i have tried both distros, and i dont find either performs better than the other.
However i still went back to kubuntu 11.10- but thats a different story..

ronnoc
August 21st, 2012, 08:41 PM
Hello. Long-time Mint KDE user who switched during 11.10 back to Kubunu. I can't see leaving for a number of reasons, which I'll save for a later discussion. But FWIW, and in case anyone else stumbles onto this thread, Kubuntu can run well on old hardware provided (2) important things: One, use a non-pae kernel (11.10 has this option still for sure), and Two, install the Kubuntu package kubuntu-lowfat-settings. The latter disables a lot of memory hogs like KRunner scripts and some nemomuk-akonadi-things. It makes a real difference!

Also, Kubuntu has a netbook interface included and can simply be turned on via a toggle in System Settings.

Kubuntu 12.04 is running just fine (and reasonably fast!) with the above settings on an old HP/Compaq nc6000 Pentium M notebook :)

black veils
August 21st, 2012, 09:26 PM
you said about xfce not having a search feature, it has the application finder, but if you want something else, install synaptic! you will need to tweak the settings manager menu file, as the app wont show.

forrestcupp
August 23rd, 2012, 10:46 PM
I don't have the experience to compare it to Kubuntu, but I just installed Linux Mint 13 KDE today, and I'm blown away. I haven't used KDE since 4.0. When I tried this out, I was like, what the heck have I been doing using anything else? What the heck is anyone doing using anything else?

KDE is truly a beautiful DE. If I'm being honest and unbiased, it's the only one that I think truly beats the pants off of Windows 7. I've been using W7 for a while, and I checked out the LiveUSB of the Cinnamon version. I really wanted to install Linux again, but Cinnamon just wasn't getting me excited. I didn't want to go back to Unity or Gnome Shell. So I popped in Linux Mint 13 KDE, and was blown away. It didn't take me long to decide to install it.

K-Ghidorah
November 30th, 2012, 02:59 AM
my question is: "Is Linux Mint KDE (as of version 13) really better than Kubuntu 12.04?"

There are some things about Mint 13 KDE that are better than Kubuntu, in particular the integration of Firefox with KDE is better in Mint than Kubuntu since Mint comes with Firefox by default. Also, Mint KDE comes with the Mint Update Manager, which is pretty fantastic. Kubuntu has a slightly more pure KDE experience, for better or worse.

In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. I'm currently using Kubuntu and I'm quite pleased with it. I've also used Mint 13 KDE and was also quite pleased with it. However, recently I've had a surprising amount of problems in the live environment in Mint KDE when I went to install it, hence why I'm using Kubuntu now (had to clear everything to install WinXP so I can keep the firmware of my iPod up to date; am currently dual-booting). YMMV of course.

Otherwise, I'd definitely recommend Mint 13 KDE over Kubuntu, but only slightly. Frankly, you can't go wrong either way.

K-Ghidorah
November 30th, 2012, 03:13 AM
I don't have the experience to compare it to Kubuntu, but I just installed Linux Mint 13 KDE today, and I'm blown away. I haven't used KDE since 4.0. When I tried this out, I was like, what the heck have I been doing using anything else? What the heck is anyone doing using anything else?

KDE is truly a beautiful DE. If I'm being honest and unbiased, it's the only one that I think truly beats the pants off of Windows 7. I've been using W7 for a while, and I checked out the LiveUSB of the Cinnamon version. I really wanted to install Linux again, but Cinnamon just wasn't getting me excited. I didn't want to go back to Unity or Gnome Shell. So I popped in Linux Mint 13 KDE, and was blown away. It didn't take me long to decide to install it.

I feel the same way (unashamed KDE fan-boy here). I confess that I listened to the hate that KDE had received at the hands of those who prefer GNOME and Xfce and as a result, I avoided it like the plague. Then I read about how customizable it was, saw several screenshots and became curious. After trying it, it didn't take me long to fall in love with it. It's what I recommend to new users coming from Windows, not only because it's familiar, but it's also really cool-looking. Before my recommendation was Zorin OS... nothing against Zorin; it's quite good.

Ashtonford
December 20th, 2012, 07:10 PM

I did the same and I installed it and was blown away totally awsome kde experience

Mikeb85
December 20th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Hello everbody,

I'm trying to convert someone to a *buntu and I think KDE would be really perfect for him. However when I tried Kubuntu myself it ran decently, but I got a lot of crash reports etc. Also I read a few Kubuntu 12.04 reviews and they didn't seem to be really good either... Also a lot of people say Kubuntu is a bad KDE distro and much worse than the other *buntus. However most people seem to be really excited about Linux Mint KDE edition (which is based on Ubuntu, not Kubuntu).

So my question is: "Is Linux Mint KDE (as of version 13) really better than Kubuntu 12.04?"

I'm also looking at Cinnamon (which I'm probably going to "use" instead of KDE, if Linux Mint KDE is just as worse as Kubuntu). I myself am happily using Unity (it fits me just right), but I think maybe Unity is a bit to confusing (global menu bar, to distinguish running programs and closed programs in the dock etc.). However I myself am really fond of the search functionality and I would like to convert them to a *buntu distro which has a DE that also provides search (KDE, Unity and Cinnamon do). If XFCE had a search feature...

The main versions of Mint are basically Ubuntu + a few extras. Any bugginess that may exist in Ubuntu versions gets inherited by the Mint version, and they usually add their own bugs on top of that. I switched away from Mint because, apart from a few shiny things, Mint is essentially just a skinned Ubuntu with a few extras and a search bar which brings them revenue.

Ashtonford
December 21st, 2012, 03:56 AM
The main versions of Mint are basically Ubuntu + a few extras. Any bugginess that may exist in Ubuntu versions gets inherited by the Mint version, and they usually add their own bugs on top of that. I switched away from Mint because, apart from a few shiny things, Mint is essentially just a skinned Ubuntu with a few extras and a search bar which brings them revenue.

its more than that. Mint puts out a more polished product the kde is much better out of the box no neopunk probs or kwallet bothering you. Its not a tweaked kbuntu they did the kde version themselves.

cottfcfan
December 21st, 2012, 09:41 AM
its more than that. Mint puts out a more polished product the kde is much better out of the box no neopunk probs or kwallet bothering you. Its not a tweaked kbuntu they did the kde version themselves.

Are you sure? I always thought Mint KDE was based off Ubuntu, not directly off KDE.