PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] power mac

walker195
August 16th, 2012, 05:55 AM
can top spec power mac g3 run 12.04

2blue
August 16th, 2012, 01:13 PM
I can`t remember the top specs for the G3 models, but I know it can run lubuntu 12.04 with ease. I have a G4 iBook with 512RAM and 1.42GHz CPU and I went straight for lubuntu. I wanted something that would run as light as possible on the older hardware. It looks like I might benefit from more RAM even with a large enough swap. However if your specs are good you can always give Ubuntu a try, and there is xubuntu too. I have lubuntu running fine on an old Packard Bell with 700MHz CPU and just under 300 MB RAM, which is the lowest specs I have tested (an old hand-me-down laptop).

Lars Noodén
August 16th, 2012, 01:21 PM
I'd also recommend Lubuntu. However, if the UI is dragging on your G3, you can drop the Desktop Environment completely and just run the Window manager by itself. Lubuntu comes with Openbox, which is quite good, but Fluxbox and FVWM-crystal are worth looking at, too.

walker195
August 17th, 2012, 12:29 AM
thank you i picked up 10 of them on ebay all diffrent colors but none had an os thanks ill try them all i can hook them all up to my LAN for a lightweight fps party!