PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Mapping a Share

csiis
August 13th, 2012, 03:09 PM
I'm trying to create a mount point on my Ubuntu 12.04 server to a location on a different servers.

First of all im creating the mnt point - mkdir /mnt/example - which is fine.

Then i attempt to run:

mount -t cifs //servertest/example /mnt/example -o user=test,password=test

after which i get back:

mount: //servertest/example is not a valid block device

thanks

darkod
August 13th, 2012, 03:40 PM
If it doesn't resolve the server name correctly, try using the IP instead of //servertest, something like //192.168.1.10/sharename

SeijiSensei
August 13th, 2012, 03:42 PM
See if you can access the share from the command line with smbclient:

smbclient \\\\server\\share -U username

The extra slashes are needed to "escape" the backslash which has a defined meaning in the shell. The server should prompt for your password, then smbclient will display a prompt "smb: \>". Typing "ls" will list the remote share.

If that doesn't work, you may need to check that you're in the same workgroup or domain. In smbclient you can try adding "-W" followed by the workgroup or domain. Recent Windows servers sometimes require usernames of the form "DOMAIN\username". Try that instead.

Do you have access to the server's logs? Perhaps you'll find a clue there.

redmk2
August 13th, 2012, 04:16 PM
See if you can access the share from the command line with smbclient:

smbclient \\\\server\\share -U username

The extra slashes are needed to "escape" the backslash which has a defined meaning in the shell. The server should prompt for your password, then smbclient will display a prompt "smb: \>". Typing "ls" will list the remote share.

If that doesn't work, you may need to check that you're in the same workgroup or domain. In smbclient you can try adding "-W" followed by the workgroup or domain. Recent Windows servers sometimes require usernames of the form "DOMAIN\username". Try that instead.

Do you have access to the server's logs? Perhaps you'll find a clue there.

The correct syntax is
smbclient //server/share
...no need to escape characters at all. If you don't use the -U switch it will prompt you for login name,

redmk2
August 13th, 2012, 04:22 PM
I'm trying to create a mount point on my Ubuntu 12.04 server to a location on a different servers.

First of all im creating the mnt point - mkdir /mnt/example - which is fine.

Then i attempt to run:

mount -t cifs //servertest/example /mnt/example -o user=test,password=test

after which i get back:

mount: //servertest/example is not a valid block device

thanks
It looks like you have not created a Samba (Windows) share to mount. Have you created a share?

SeijiSensei
August 14th, 2012, 12:58 AM
The correct syntax is
smbclient //server/share
...no need to escape characters at all. If you don't use the -U switch it will prompt you for login name,

That wasn't always true. If smbclient now accepts the //server/share syntax, that is an improvement over the original smbclient that I started using a dozen years ago.

redmk2
August 14th, 2012, 05:11 AM
That wasn't always true. If smbclient now accepts the //server/share syntax, that is an improvement over the original smbclient that I started using a dozen years ago.

Nope, it's been that way since at least 1995. Which is 17 years ago by my math. I suppose you can do it your way but is is confusing. The \\server\share is the Windows UNC method, not a Samba (SMB/CIFS) method if I'm not mistaken. We are way OT here anyway.

csiis
August 14th, 2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks all for the info - Ill have a look today and update

csiis
August 15th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Ok so success.

I can access the remote directory and view its contents using:

smbclient //RemoteServer/RemoteDirectory -U UserName

For scripting purposes i really need to be able to access the remote directory via a mount point. Any ideas on how i can get this to work based on the above working?

Thank you

csiis
August 15th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Sorted.

I didnt have the smbfs package installed - DOH!

thanks for everyones input