PDA

View Full Version : Slashdot on Windows 8 - It sucks

ZarathustraDK
August 11th, 2012, 12:41 AM
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/08/09/1417210/cowboyneal-weighs-in-on-the-windows-8-metro-gui

Seems like Windows 8 is gonna tank big time (as in Vista-proportions) according to the comments in the above link.

I'm wondering if this is a part of the notorious "make a good release, then a bad, then a good" that seems to be the trend with Microsoft historically.

Then again, one can't help but seeing similarities between Windows' Metro and Ubuntu's Unity, and the criticism thereof.

So what's your take? Is Windows 8 Microsoft's Unity-moment (as in "painful but necessary transition to something better"), or does it just plain old suck? (as in: "it sucks")

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
August 11th, 2012, 12:59 AM
personally unity is better, much easter to figure out where my calculator is, and i don't have to tun my psu off & on to get my mouse to work after hibernate/suspend
will be worse than vista for ms imo
wonder how long till this thread gets locked...
edit:
just booted my windows 8 on a seperate hdd i had not touched in a week
it boots really fast for a 5400rpm laptop drive but i literally have no mouse now :?
i got it to install updates now i have mouse again

not found
August 11th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Closed for review.

not found
August 11th, 2012, 01:06 AM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

If anyone feels the urge to bash on MS or on Windows 8 feel free to post on the Slashdot link provided in the OP.

For others that want to have a discussion about reddit, or even Windows 8 feel free to continue on here...

Mikeb85
August 11th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Blah blah whine whine it's not the same waaah waaahh...

Just curious if anyone's used Windows 8? I have, it's a good system. From the metro screen you can just start typing to search (like Unity's dash or Gnome Shell), then hit enter after a few letters to launch. Super key switches from Metro to the desktop. So let's say I'm on the desktop, I enter -super- fire -enter-, and Firefox launches. Same as Unity or GS.

Having every icon be a widget is awesome, the news app and stock apps in the beta were awesome, I'm sure 3rd parties will get it even better.

And I must say, Windows 8 is the quickest, most stable Windows I've ever used. The ONLY downside to Windows 8 is the App store, and only because they want to impose Apple-like restrictions. All these people hating on Windows 8 because it's different should stop living in the past. Yes, Windows has had the same GUI since 1995, and it's time to change.

The only reason Windows 8 won't be my full-time OS is because I like the freedom that comes with using Linux, but odds are good I'll have it in a VM...

Gone fishing
August 11th, 2012, 07:46 AM
I think ms is trying to be innovative, which would give them problems with users, consider the problems Ubuntu's had with Unity and thats good, However, I think Windows 8 will make ms feel Vista was a good release.

But the main potential problem is going to be lock down, Win 8 ARM is going to be locked boot and apps. MS's great strength (and weakness) was the openness of the OS anyone could write apps for it. I think with Win 9 they will go entirely app store. This will be bad for ms, potentially bad for personal computing but possibly an opportunity for Ubuntu.

MadmanRB
August 12th, 2012, 05:41 PM
I think ms is trying to be innovative, which would give them problems with users, consider the problems Ubuntu's had with Unity and thats good, However, I think Windows 8 will make ms feel Vista was a good release.

But the main potential problem is going to be lock down, Win 8 ARM is going to be locked boot and apps. MS's great strength (and weakness) was the openness of the OS anyone could write apps for it. I think with Win 9 they will go entirely app store. This will be bad for ms, potentially bad for personal computing but possibly an opportunity for Ubuntu.

Except the fact that there might not be a Windows 9, Microsoft had plans to drop the windows name after 8.

vexorian
August 12th, 2012, 06:08 PM
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/08/09/1417210/cowboyneal-weighs-in-on-the-windows-8-metro-gui

Seems like Windows 8 is gonna tank big time (as in Vista-proportions) according to the comments in the above link.

I'm wondering if this is a part of the notorious "make a good release, then a bad, then a good" that seems to be the trend with Microsoft historically.

Then again, one can't help but seeing similarities between Windows' Metro and Ubuntu's Unity, and the criticism thereof.

So what's your take? Is Windows 8 Microsoft's Unity-moment (as in "painful but necessary transition to something better"), or does it just plain old suck? (as in: "it sucks")
Just note that slashdot are pretty bad at predicting anything. The comments section is infamous for “No wireless. Less space than a Nomad. Lame.” (comments on the first iPod)

I don't have user experience with win8. No comment yet on whether it is good or bad.

But I hope win8 rots and dies. That whole secure boot thing is a monopolistic scam. Although the US law system seems more interested in letting apple block Samsung sales because of rounded corners than in fighting this awful monopolistic move.

There is a difference between metro and unity. Unity, Gnome2/3, KDE, cinnamon, XFCE etc are all going to be a shock for most users trying it for the first time. But the people that sticks to Linux/GNU often look for a change. However, most windows users really don't want a change. Lack of familiarity has always been ubuntu's problem. But with win8 out there, the lack of familiarity affects all new OS, it should level things a bit. Because of this, although unity or gnome-3 cause disturb on old Ubuntu users. For most new users, the shock for lack of familiarity is probably going to be similar no matter you put unity or gnome-shell or KDE4 or classic gnome on them.

But I am starting to think the good-bad-good-bad release cycle is completely intentional.

Edit: In fact, familiarity has been for a loooooooooooong time, the only reason people use windows at all. MS is taking a big risk with this. Therefore, the metro designers have my respect for that. But I still hope it dies absurdly.

synaptix
August 15th, 2012, 03:32 PM
Just curious if anyone's used Windows 8?

I have and it's amazing.

Dry Lips
August 15th, 2012, 07:37 PM
I use windows 8, and I highly doubt that it'll be such a big flop as some people say. They have included a traditional windows 7 desktop, so you don't have to use the metro interface all the time if you prefer a more traditional desktop.

I need to upgrade my XP machine, so I'm thinking about getting either windows 7 or 8... Does anyone here know if Windows 7 are going to be sold with a discount when Windows 8 are launched? Windows 8 is okay, but I rather spend as little money as possible on an OS that I use as little as possible :/