PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Lost connection to MySQL server at 'reading initial communication packet', system err

Maheriano
August 10th, 2012, 08:16 PM
I'm trying to connect to the database on my server using MySQL Workbench and it gives me this error. All the credentials are correct and I can connect fine from the command line. Any ideas?

Maheriano
August 10th, 2012, 11:10 PM
I managed to allow the connection but there's still a problem. I logged into the database and added my user with my host IP at home:

grant all on database.* to user@'my-public-ip' identified by 'user-password';
and then

flush privileges;
This allowed me to gain access from this specific IP at my house but how can I grant access from anywhere for this user?

SeijiSensei
August 11th, 2012, 01:31 AM
Grant all privileges to 'user'@'%'.

If by "anywhere" you really mean anywhere, then you'd better have a strong password on this user's account.

Maheriano
August 21st, 2012, 10:35 PM
Grant all privileges to 'user'@'%'.

If by "anywhere" you really mean anywhere, then you'd better have a strong password on this user's account.

Isn't this how CPanel works? I know with any CPanel created database I can access it from anywhere. Am I doing anything wrong?

Wim Sturkenboom
August 22nd, 2012, 10:08 AM
Isn't this how CPanel works?

Not familiar with it but not likely. CPanel is a webbased interface running on a webserver (if I'm not mistaken), so you use a browser to connect. If you want to do something on the mysql server (e.g. add a table), it's executed by the webserver.

Unless you use a SSL connection on your mysql server, don't use any type of mysql client from a machine anywhere on the internet. Your password will be picked up in no time.

Maheriano
August 23rd, 2012, 05:32 PM
Not familiar with it but not likely. CPanel is a webbased interface running on a webserver (if I'm not mistaken), so you use a browser to connect. If you want to do something on the mysql server (e.g. add a table), it's executed by the webserver.

Unless you use a SSL connection on your mysql server, don't use any type of mysql client from a machine anywhere on the internet. Your password will be picked up in no time.

All of my current MySQL databases set up in CPanel are accessible from any machine using MySQL Workbench which is an application from MySQL specifically for connecting to those databases. Does that mean they're unsafe?

Wim Sturkenboom
August 24th, 2012, 07:31 AM
In my opinion, if you access database directly over the internet, it's unsafe unless you use SSL. You can start reading http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/secure-basics.html