PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Trying to install Kubuntu 8.04 on an iMac G3...

RaffyBordeleau
August 10th, 2012, 05:37 AM
I'm having issues installing Kubuntu 8.04 on an iMac G3 (Slotloader, PPC). I installed the PowerPC version, loaded it onto a disc, and can boot it up no problems. But once I get to yaboot, everything goes wrong. I press enter to boot 'live'. Once it says, "Loading, please wait..." the Mac shuts down. I try typing live-powerpc, and it shuts down. I type live-nosplash-powerpc; it doesn't shut down, but it takes me to a Terminal, which I don't know how to use. I'm kinda stuck here.

davetv
August 10th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Does the mac have enough ram for a graphical environment? 256MB or more is specified for 8.04

2blue
August 10th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Why would you install 8.04? 12.04 should have a few more fixes and updates.

davetv
August 10th, 2012, 09:01 AM
I use Kubuntu 8.04 on older machines. Sure the packages available are not updated but its back-end stuff is rock solid. A bit of tinkering and you can install anything anyway. KDE 3.5 isn't bad either.

On newer machines, I install Debian now because ubuntu/canonical has lost the plot. Why release because the schedule demands it? Why not wait until the product is stable?

I have tried 12.04 on a few machines now and laugh. It is buggy as hell.

I don't need the latest whiz-bang you-beaut OS. I need an OS that works!

2blue
August 10th, 2012, 09:18 AM
And I thought 12.04 had become the more stable one by now, being longterm support? There`s been lads of fixes and updates for a few months now. I have lubuntu 12.04 on an old iBook, and I have had few problems if any (loads really but it is powerpc stuff in general). In what way do you notice an advantage in 8.04?