PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] need help with a central Git repository install

leetzilla
August 9th, 2012, 04:54 PM
Hello everyone,

I need some help! I work in IT for a software development company that just lost our "linux guy". We have a request for a centralized Git repository and I am struggling with the setup. To make matters worse I have very little server administrator training. I studied Web Design and programming and got hired on in IT until the company finds a development position for me so I'm out of my element here. Basically I need someone to explain this to me as though I'm a 5 year old...

Our environment is mostly Windows based and we use Active Directory for our authentication. What our developers want is an in-house, internet facing server on the network that hosts our Git repositories.

What I've been able to do so far is install Git on an ubuntu box and initialize a repository. Apache2 is also installed and running properly.

What I need help with is touching that repository from a client. Apparently I need to setup SSH keys for that but I have no idea how to do that. Also configuring the server to accept HTTPS communication sounds like something I should do. Again I have no idea what I'm doing.

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Michael