PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] What kind of Ubuntu for my late 2006 white Macbook

jc0811
August 9th, 2012, 05:14 AM
I have an aging late 2006 white Macbook. I got it the day after Thanksgiving many years ago.By the way it has a 2.0 ghz Core2Duo 64 chip. I currently have Lion 10.7 on it dual booting with Windows 7 64-bit. The Lion 10.7 runs fine its Windows 7 64 bit that runs not so great. I am getting tired of Windows 7. So I am hoping for suggestions of which Ubuntu version I should use.

Ubuntu? Kubuntu? Xubuntu or Lubuntu?

I like having a FAST and responsive system. I'm leaning more towards Xubuntu. The only drawback will be the wife. She grew up using Windows. So if I choose Xubuntu (based on what people suggest here) I plan on changing some things around to make it close to looking like Windows.

Almost forgot to mention. I plan on using Virtualbox running Windows XP for some of the programs I use that don't run good in Wine.

Thanks for reading.

2F4U
August 9th, 2012, 07:18 AM
How much RAM do you have installed? With at least 1 GB you can choose pretty much anything you like. Kubuntu would be the one that comes next to Windows 7 out of the box. Ubuntu with Unity may be a bit strange. Xubuntu is lighter on resources than the previously mentioned and highly configurable. You can basically make it look anything you like.
VirtualBox is not a problem since it will run on all of the desktop environments.
I would suggest that you download liveCD's for the various desktops and see what fits you best. Another thing is that you can have more than one desktop installed at the same time, so, for example, if your wife likes KDE but you are more into XFCE, install both and let the wife work on KDE while you work on XFCE.

GreatDanton
August 9th, 2012, 07:23 AM
If you want your Linux to look like Windows7 then you definitely have to check Zorin OS: http://zorin-os.com/

Zorin OS is a multi-functional operating system designed specifically for Windows users who want to have easy and smooth access to Linux. It is based on Ubuntu which is the most popular Linux operating system in the world.Regards.

Bucky Ball
August 9th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Depends on RAM. Xubuntu is the lightest, Lubuntu lighter still. Xubuntu is extremely configurable, slick and fast.

2blue
August 9th, 2012, 01:05 PM
With those specs Windows 7 should run all fine, must be something slowing it down that needs sorting out. Windows need a bit of upkeep to run smoothly.

I doubt you really should force linux on your wife if she likes to have access to Windows, but if she is happy whith an alternative any of the Ubuntu related distros should be ideal. In my experience you don`t need to go for the windows like desktop enviroments, the transition from Windows to Ubuntu is pretty easy. You just can`t keep comparing to everything in Windows, you need to find your way around a new system what ever you do. It is luckily very easy to get used to any of the Ubuntu distros.

With a 2GHz Core2 Duo everything still runs fast and quick with Ubuntu, and I suppose there never were a 64bit system with less than 3 or 4GB RAM? You should be able to pick any of the Ubuntus you like. Some graphic cards have been a horror with linux at times, and for some of the older cards the ideal drivers will probably never be made. Most will work fine though.

First Taste Hooks You
August 11th, 2012, 05:15 AM
I am running Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit on a MacBook 3,1 with a Core 2 Duo with 4GBs of RAM and I run Unity and GNOME Shell with no problems.