PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 on iMac 4,1 works then fails, works then fails...

djyrn
August 5th, 2012, 08:34 PM
I've set up dual booting on an iMac (several times) following the description at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MactelSupportTeam/AppleIntelInstallation.

I do note, that the " root (/) as the mount point" causes the installer to complain, and the install to not work. A grub-boot partition seems to work.

The system works fine for a day or maybe even two, updates fine, but then suddenly won't boot.

Attempted boots will result in a flashing cursor for about 20 seconds then the mac will cycle through to a new reboot. Safe boot does the same, quick reading points to something usb related, before the screen disappears in reboot.

I have had occasional success of powering down and unplugging the mac before starting up again, then booting into Ubuntu. This solution has not consistently worked, though.

boot-repair has been ineffective in addressing the issue.

I've re-installed again, but feel like it's a new countdown.

One odd thing is that gparted can't report the file system for the grub-bios partition. Though, it can't report the file system for the OSX install either.

I'm gearing up to not re-install next time. Any suggestions? The one thing I haven't done was purge and re-install grub.