PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wireless IR keyboard works with Ubuntu

Timborino
August 3rd, 2012, 05:00 PM
A couple of years ago I was complaining about restoring Windows after a crash when a friend pointed me to Ubuntu. I took a look but it was too foreign to me so I dismissed it.

Well, last night I was trying to install a wireless infrared keyboard (old but cheap technology) in Win XP Pro and wouldn't you know, unsupported!

I racked my brain for an hour or so and remembered that conversation with my friend. Lo and behold Ubuntu supports wireless ir right out of the box!

Ok, so I'm loving Ubuntu from the get-go but I don't know how to use it. I'm fairly computer savvy so with a little determination I'm able to find what I need. The next test is the Windows Emulator. I HAVE to have MS Office for my job. If this all works I'll be a convert.

So the point of this is an introduction for me and an answer I could not find for my question. I simply wanted to know if Ubuntu supports wireless IR without much fuss... simply put, it does!

cogier
August 3rd, 2012, 07:52 PM
Welcome to the Ubuntu world. I'm glad you have got your keyboard working.

With regard to your "need" for MS Office have you tried Libre Office - It will read and write most Office files.

Should you need to run Office on Ubuntu I have found that Office 2003 works quite well under Wine. Wine is available from the Ubuntu Software Centre. Google seem to show ways to get Office 2010 (and other versions) working with Ubuntu but I have no tried it.

Timborino
August 4th, 2012, 01:44 AM
The reason it has to be Microsoft is the company I work for sends me active x word docs that have to be completed and returned in the program that created it - ms word.

I'm currently looking at a program named Playon to see if it will work with my version of Word.