PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Application problem

PhalanxSec
August 2nd, 2012, 08:34 PM
So I've tried installing uTorrent and I've got it on my localhost, http://localhost:8080/gui/ but I can't torrent anything because it's not a real application. I found a blog that told me to "Add to panel" and select "Custom Application Launcher" but I don't know where this option is.

audiomick
August 2nd, 2012, 10:17 PM
I found a blog that told me to "Add to panel" and select "Custom Application Launcher" but I don't know where this option is.
I suspect that this was an set of instructions relating to the Gnome desktop environment. If you are using the Unity desktop, I don't believe these instructions will work.

That is not to say that the application wont work, just that the instructions in the blog are outdated.

PhalanxSec
August 2nd, 2012, 10:25 PM
I suspect that this was an set of instructions relating to the Gnome desktop environment. If you are using the Unity desktop, I don't believe these instructions will work.

That is not to say that the application wont work, just that the instructions in the blog are outdated.

How can I do this on the Unity desktop? I really need to get uTorrent working.

audiomick
August 2nd, 2012, 10:37 PM
I don't know, mate. Don't know enough about utorrent, sorry.

What you posted indicates instructions to create a starter for a program. Have to start guessing here, but: if the instructions go on to say some thing along the lines of choosing an application to associate to the starter, then you should be able to start it by typing the name of the application in the search box of the dash and clicking on the icon that turns up.

If the instructions go on to tell you how to enter a custom command of some sort to associate with the starter, then I think you should be able to start the application by typing that in a terminal.

I think it is possible to make a custom starter in Unity, but I don't know how off hand, and I am not on a machine with Unity right now, so I can't look for it.

Sorry to be of such limited help. I hope someone else turns up soon who can be of more use.

Jedcurtis
August 2nd, 2012, 11:22 PM
As a long-ago windows user I recognize uTorrent. However, in 12.04 Precise, there is a program that should have installed by default called "Transmission". IMO it is as thorough and effective as uTorrent. Have you tried it yet? Just a thought...

Jed

gifford
August 3rd, 2012, 02:36 AM
Have you tried the Linux forum at utorrent?