PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] <--- What is it

PhalanxSec
August 2nd, 2012, 07:44 AM
Is that the GUI bar on the top of a persons screen with "Applications" etc? I'm interested in using this but can you use it for Ubuntu? Is there anything I should know before hand?

ub07
August 2nd, 2012, 08:41 AM
Gnome is a desktop environment which is the "look and feel" that you notice when you log into your system. Just like Unity is a desktop environment. There's Gnome Shell (Gnome 3) and Classic Gnome. The best advice that I can give you is to install it and see how you like it. That way you can see for yourself what Gnome is all about and how it differs from Unity.

drpjkurian
August 2nd, 2012, 08:54 AM
It is GNOME shell desktop. You can install GNOME shell from Ubuntu software center.

Paqman
August 2nd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Being a full desktop environment, Gnome is also a set of default applications. For example, the file manager (Nautilus) the mp3 player Rhythmbox and the photo editor GIMP are all part of Gnome. The idea is that Gnome provides everything you would nee to use your computer.

Ubuntu sometimes swaps some of these defaults for applications they think are better. For example the default Gnome web browser is Epiphany aka "Web", but Ubuntu ships with Firefox instead.