PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Best Ubuntu for a File Share

Living2007
August 2nd, 2012, 06:54 AM
I'm tossing up between either a Server Verison, or a desktop verison for a network fileshare on a Windows Network, primarly accessed by iMacs.

I want to use minimal system resources, but use a desktop environment when other admins (who don't know the CLI commands) use it.

Our Windows Machines also need access to it so we can monitor the data storage.

What is the best Ubuntu to use, and what is the best File Sharing protocol to use?

papibe
August 2nd, 2012, 07:32 AM
Hi Living2007.

In terms of services, there's no significant difference between any version of Ubuntu.

The only difference will be that the GUI versions will require more hardware (mainly RAM).

Although there are specialty windows manager that use significant less memory that the known players (xmonad, awesome, etc), the easiest solution would be to install either Xubuntu or Lubuntu.

Just my thoughts.
Regards.

P.S.: I'm not well verse on Macs, but for what I can tell, NFS will be a suitable solution.

Paqman
August 2nd, 2012, 11:01 AM
I want to use minimal system resources, but use a desktop environment when other admins (who don't know the CLI commands) use it.

What about Webmin (http://www.webmin.com/)?

Living2007
August 2nd, 2012, 12:09 PM
From my last experience with Ubuntu Server, I had issues with login and no interface. Maybe it was just the way I installed it...

Dawnbandit
August 2nd, 2012, 05:16 PM
I'm tossing up between either a Server Verison, or a desktop verison for a network fileshare on a Windows Network, primarly accessed by iMacs.

Our Windows Machines also need access to it so we can monitor the data storage.

What is the best Ubuntu to use, and what is the best File Sharing protocol to use?
You could always use Lubuntu, its used LXDE which doesnt take that much CPU to run.

mapes12
August 3rd, 2012, 10:05 AM
What about Webmin?I read somewhere that Canonical dropped support for Webmin way back at version 5 because of compatibility issues with how Webmin handles packages.

If you're installing a basic LAMP server then Fluxbox has some good write ups for Admins that need a GUI Window Manager.

Paqman
August 3rd, 2012, 10:32 AM
I read somewhere that Canonical dropped support for Webmin way back at version 5 because of compatibility issues with how Webmin handles packages.

Indeed they did (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WebMin). However, Webmin is tested on Ubuntu and works, third party sources will be disabled on upgrade these days anyway, so it's unlikely to cause b0rkage, which is what they seemed to be concerned about in the first place.

mlentink
August 3rd, 2012, 11:26 AM
Webmin runs without a problem, I've used it since 2006, never encountered one.

Primefalcon
August 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
Run a server enviro and read this if you really need a gui: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ServerGUI