PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] does ubuntu support hot swapping?

cheepo
August 2nd, 2012, 05:04 AM
Hello all, I'm completely new to Linux. I just installed ubuntu 12.04 And I'm not seeing my usb drives when I plug them in? I see them after I reboot. My question is does ubuntu support hot swapping??? If so how? Thanks.

ranger1021994
August 2nd, 2012, 05:18 AM
Yes,it supports hot swapping

Go to ubuntu icon in Unity,type Disks
See the disks connected..
If you see your USB drive mount it

Or if you have Gparted use it and mount your USB if it is detcted

cheepo
August 22nd, 2012, 03:36 AM
I tried that, but nothing shows up after typing in the disk or disks in unity. Also how exactly would I do it in gparted? I don't see the disk there??

anewguy
August 22nd, 2012, 05:20 AM
I noticed ranger1021994 has it with the first letter in upper case. I haven't ever tried this, so I don't know how the disk or disks command works, but since linux/ubuntu is case sensitive, it would mean that "disks" is not the same as "Disks". Maybe you should try matching case and see if it makes a difference.

mcduck
August 22nd, 2012, 06:43 AM
I noticed ranger1021994 has it with the first letter in upper case. I haven't ever tried this, so I don't know how the disk or disks command works, but since linux/ubuntu is case sensitive, it would mean that "disks" is not the same as "Disks". Maybe you should try matching case and see if it makes a difference.

The Dash search is not case sensitive, and is usually rather smart and searches even for program descriptions etc. information instead of just a dumb name-based search. (ie. search for "photo" or "image" should bring up Gimp even though neither word is part of the program's name)

So searching for "disk" should definitely bring up the Disk Management tool. Unless of course the system is running on a other language than English... ;)

Anyway, the best troubleshooting method, as usually, is using the command line. Running "mount" or "sudo fdisk -l" should list any mounted drives/partitions. And if the drives don't appear there, you can run "tail -f /var/log/syslog" and then plug in the drive to see the log messages about how it's detected by the system and of course also any possible errors/warnings.