PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Can't Access Sudoers File in Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu

gdawg
August 1st, 2012, 11:38 PM
I managed to somehow mess-up /etc/sudoers file and now I am unable to access it. I added 2 users to the file using 'sudo visudo' command and apparently messed something up. Here are the results of attempts to access file:
jane@gdawg-Inspiron-530s:~$ sudo visudo
sudo: >>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 9 <<<
sudo: >>> /etc/sudoers: syntax error near line 9 <<<
sudo: parse error in /etc/sudoers near line 9
sudo: no valid sudoers sources found, quitting...
sudo: unable to initialise policy plug-in
I recently installed Ubuntu Remix. All help is welcome.

Linux gdawg-Inspiron-530s 3.2.0-27-generic-pae #43-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 6 15:06:05 UTC 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

drs305
August 1st, 2012, 11:40 PM
Take a look at psychocat's page on fixing sudo:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/fixsudo

NikTh
August 1st, 2012, 11:50 PM
Hi ,

please open a terminal and run

pkexec gedit /etc/sudoers copy-paste below code inside (DELETE everything else , if any)

# /etc/sudoers
#
# This file MUST be edited with the 'visudo' command as root.
#
# See the man page for details on how to write a sudoers file.
# Defaults env_reset
# Host alias specification
# User alias specification
# Cmnd alias specification
# User privilege specification
root ALL=(ALL) ALL
# Allow members of group sudo to execute any command after they have
# provided their password
# (Note that later entries override this, so you might need to move
# it further down)
%sudo ALL=(ALL) ALL
#
#includedir /etc/sudoers.d
# Members of the admin group may gain root privileges
%admin ALL=(ALL) ALLsave the file , and tell me if your problem fixed.

Thanks

gdawg
August 2nd, 2012, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the replies. Tried both suggestions and neither worked. Psychocat's method had me boot into recovery mode, select "drop to root shell prompt", enter "mount -o rw, remount /" and response is "mount: special device remount does not exist".
NikTh's method produced this result:
jane@gdawg-Inspiron-530s:~$ pkexec gedit /etc/sudoers
Cannot open display:
Run '/usr/bin/gedit --help' to see a full list of available command line options.

** (gedit:2533): WARNING **: Command line `dbus-launch --autolaunch=89df75f973f485e2fea070210000000c --binary-syntax --close-stderr' exited with non-zero exit status 1: Autolaunch error: X11 initialization failed.\n
I don't know what else to try. Thanks again.

steeldriver
August 2nd, 2012, 01:17 AM
try psychocat's method again, you mistyped the mount command - there should be no space after the comma between the options rw,remount

mount -o rw,remount / (with the space there it treats 'remount' as a block special device not a second option)

gdawg
August 2nd, 2012, 05:14 AM
Thank you steeldriver. It's finally fixed. I had to deviate some from psychocat's instructions. My situation fit "Case 2" of repair instructions but it wouldn't work with any sudo command so I entered "visudo" at root prompt and then used NikTh's "/etc/sudoers" sample file to correct the file.
Thanks to all for your excellent help.

Regards,

Glen

NikTh
August 2nd, 2012, 09:23 AM
Hi ,
glad you solved .

For future knowledge (maybe): If I understood correctly you applied command I gave you from recovery mode. Gedit its a graphical application and cannot be applied with no Desktop environment. It was my mistake I didn't mention that.
You should apply the command from your Desktop environment (nor Recovery mode or Console)
or else you should be run nano instead .

pkexec nano /etc/sudoers

Thanks

dhirendra2212
May 16th, 2013, 03:04 PM
Thanks Nikth,

Your file worked.

Dear fellas, If you cant open the sudoers file then just make a newfile in home dir and then sudo paste it in /etc with name sudoers.