PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installer won't go past second screen!

Mrubernub
August 1st, 2012, 10:08 PM
I can boot from CD, the desktop shows fine.

The only problem is when I try to install, after pressing continue on the second screen, it is just stuck on the loading cursor!
I've been searching for about 3 hours, and I haven't found any solution yet.

I'm a total noob at Linux, so please keep the answer noob-friendly :)

I have also tried to install Linux-mint, but I get some kind of "Kernel panic" message.

Thanks in advance, dying to try out Linux <.< so tired of Windows :)

Edit:
I have tried to tick the following:
noapic
nolapic
nomodeset

Still wont install.

Mrubernub
August 1st, 2012, 11:13 PM
Comeon, im dying to install linux :/

audiomick
August 1st, 2012, 11:40 PM
I can't help you, I think, but I would suggest telling us about your machine. Put some specs up. It might help someone to help you. A few more specifics about exactly how you went about trying to install might help too.

A word to the wise, also: it is considered polite to wait a day or so before bumping your threads. ;)

Mrubernub
August 2nd, 2012, 12:02 AM
I can't help you, I think, but I would suggest telling us about your machine. Put some specs up. It might help someone to help you. A few more specifics about exactly how you went about trying to install might help too.

A word to the wise, also: it is considered polite to wait a day or so before bumping your threads. ;)

Ah, sorry.

I can't tell the computer specs atm as I have no way of getting them. All I know is that the machine was an old winxp home edition, from like 2003.

NikTh
August 2nd, 2012, 12:03 AM
A word to the wise, also: it is considered polite to wait a day or so before bumping your threads.

+1

Hi ,

Also try to burn a usb instead of CD . Try unetbootin program --> http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

If you want CD , I suggest to burn it again in the Lower speed (its sensitive data)
and a last thing , check MD5 --> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM/
Where did you get the .iso ?

Thanks

simonmoon42
August 2nd, 2012, 12:11 AM
Try checking the image at the load screen where it asks what you want to do.

KaizerLinux
August 2nd, 2012, 12:15 AM
I had a similar problem a few years back when I installed Ubuntu for the first time. I believe it was a bad/broken download that caused it back then, so you could try downloading it again. And do as NikTh said, either burn it at a slower setting or use a USB drive. Good luck!

Curtis6767
August 2nd, 2012, 12:19 AM
Just a guess, but I'm thinking you might be better off downloading and then installing the Alternate CD image. This is a text-based install.

If all else fails, then you could try the alternate method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi-VPj4jzrg

GL

Mrubernub
August 2nd, 2012, 12:20 AM
Try checking the image at the load screen where it asks what you want to do.

Check finished: No errors.

simonmoon42
August 2nd, 2012, 12:27 AM
Check finished: No errors.

I would do what Curtis6767 advised and try the alternate installer. Either that or do a verbose install and see where it's hanging up.

Mrubernub
August 2nd, 2012, 12:32 AM
I would do what Curtis6767 advised and try the alternate installer. Either that or do a verbose install and see where it's hanging up.

Downloading the alternative installer :) Thanks guys.

Mrubernub
August 2nd, 2012, 01:00 AM
Okey, the installer got past the network configuration, at the moment its just a blue-ish screen with a white stripe at the bottom.

It's been like that for a long time.

Curtis6767
August 2nd, 2012, 01:13 AM
Okey, the installer got past the network configuration, at the moment its just a blue-ish screen with a white stripe at the bottom.

It's been like that for a long time.

Hopefully that white stripe is the last screen you'll see for a while and what you're doing is installing Ubuntu as well as downloading upgrades and a bunch of stuff. If this is in fact the case, then this process is going to take quite a bit of time. As in hours.

GL