PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Can I set window to focus on a click, but not act on that first click?

NTL2009
August 1st, 2012, 09:42 PM
Awkward to put into words in a title, but here is the issue:

Say I have 3 windows overlapping from three different apps. I want to switch to a window that is partially hidden. So I click on an exposed part of that lower window to raise it above the others.

That's fine, except I sometimes need to be very careful to click on an 'inactive' part of the window. If I click on a button, or link, I end up activating that button/link, and I may lose my way, or activate something I did not intend. And with much of the window hidden, it isn't always easy to tell if the area you are clicking is a 'hot spot' or not.

Stating this in the positive - DESIRED ACTION: I want to be able to click on a background window to raise it, and have that first click 'ignored' so that it does nothing but raise and focus this lower window. Now that is it raised/focused, any following clicks will be read as normal. This avoids unintended actions in raising a window.

Under Settings / Window Manager / Focus, I have activated: "Click to Focus", "New Window Focus" and "Raise on Click"

Under Settings / Window Manager Tweaks / Focus, I have tried each combo of "Activate Focus Stealing Prevention" and "Honor Standard ICCCM focus hint" and I don't notice any effect. I have "Do Nothing" selected for the "When a window raises itself' entry.

Anyone know how to achieve this?

TIA - NTL2009

audiomick
August 1st, 2012, 10:32 PM
It is a bit difficult to say exactly because my system is set to German, but in settings> windows the very first option is to have the window come into focus when the mouse is over it (without clicking or anything else). It sounds like this is what you want. This is a 10.04 install.

NTL2009
August 1st, 2012, 11:51 PM
Thanks audiomick - I had avoided that setting because I didn't think I'd like the idea of the focus changing if I just moved my mouse around, or it got bumped, but it was worth a try.

It does do what I'm asking (brings the window up w/o an inadvertent action), but as I thought, I really like the more definite action of actually clicking the window to activate it. Just mousing over makes for a very 'jumpy' screen for me. I tend to keep a lot of tiled windows open at a time in a work-space, and also keep 4 to 8 work-spaces open.

But I'll keep that setting activated for a while, maybe I'll get used to it?

-NTL2009

audiomick
August 2nd, 2012, 12:22 AM
I had avoided that setting because I didn't think I'd like the idea of the focus changing if I just moved my mouse around, or it got bumped,

Yes, I haven't got it activated either, and that is exactly why. I don't know of any other way of getting what you want, though. The only other way would be to look for the window you want in the lower task bar and click on it there. That is what I tend to do.