PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it Possible that One Could Reinstall Ubuntu 12.04 over itself to fix disc Errors?

djpurity
August 1st, 2012, 08:54 AM
I have a bad hard drive - that is, it was running 12.04 LTS 64-bit and due to cat ****, it shorted something about this hard drive, and after much cleaning and drying, Ubuntu would start, but was hella slow, I mean hella hella hella slow. Slower that slow. And it crashed randomly and spontaneously, and no websites would load completely due to the large about of script errors and such.

I have a live boot disc of Ubuntu 12.04, and I would like to know if I could just reinstall it over itself to solve the problem. I had the laptop checked and all the devices work, except the USB ports on the right side of the laptop are no good anymore, and my laptop requires a mouse now to work, since the finger touchpad came back from the computer "doctor" who ran the diagnostic tests on all my hardware, as broken and unworking (when it was actually working when I dropped it off).

I am sure I would have to format the drive to fix it and do a fresh install. But I have data on the drive I want to recover first. Some of the directories are showing up as unknown file types, and all the contents of said directories are unreachable since I cannot open the folders containing them. The permissions also are set so I cannot read the drive nor copy things off of it. I have been reading the forums and have now gotten past that initial problem of drive access, and I can now read the drive but some of the folders, like my Music directory subfolders all show up, but their subfolders are the ones still showing up as invalid file types, despite containing entire album collections of mp3s in each one.

I have been fooling with this problem to copy the data I can off with a live Ubuntu disc onto a flashdrive, but this is taking a lot of trial and error, and my syntax with chown and chmod have not been entirely successful, and I have given ownership to a "777" in group "1000" by accident to some things, and anyway, if things were like Windows, I could just reinstall the O/S on top of itself to solve the problems of any data being written to the drive incorrectly due to a short or something -- like when the cat **** caused some error to occur on my hard drive writing data at the time.

I know with an O/S like Windows I could reinstall the O/S over itself to correct O/S errors, although it is messy and can lead to problems down the road. But is Linux or Ubuntu as easy as this?

Or am I in for a nice long sit to learn the hard and best way of doing things? :confused:

Grenage
August 1st, 2012, 09:01 AM
If you have a bad drive, installing Ubuntu over the top isn't going to fix anything, you'll need to replace the drive.

If the drive isn't bad, which seems unlikely, given the symptoms, you'd be far better off with a fresh installation. You'll want to grab any data you still can, then move from there.

Ravi5kumar
August 1st, 2012, 09:27 AM
If you screw Ubuntu ever it is very hard to recover and the last resort is to do a clean reinstall. I really miss Window's 'System Restore' which lets you undone most things. May Ubuntu got that similar utility in future!

techvish81
August 1st, 2012, 05:26 PM
If you screw Ubuntu ever it is very hard to recover and the last resort is to do a clean reinstall. I really miss Window's 'System Restore' which lets you undone most things. May Ubuntu got that similar utility in future!

if you tweak ubuntu very much, it could break and you can still undo whatever you have done, if you have kept record of changes. if you have uninstalled needed packages, you can try to install ubuntu desktop if it is not installed. it will pull all the packages needed. if you have messed with system configuration files, you have to undo those changes.

above all "A BAD HARDDRIVE CAN NEVER BE REPAIRED BY UBUNTU OR ANY OTHER OS"

Cheesemill
August 1st, 2012, 05:41 PM
Boot from a Live CD to recover as much data as possible and then replace the drive.

As mentioned above there is nothing you can do to fix a failing drive.

QIII
August 1st, 2012, 06:07 PM
Sell the cat and use the money for a new drive.

We have a Pug that somehow got the notion that it was permissible to get on desks in the computer room and mark his territory. When I found a puddle of whiz dangerously close to about $10k worth of computer equipment, he was lucky to escape with his life.

Ravi5kumar
August 1st, 2012, 06:38 PM
"A BAD HARDDRIVE CAN NEVER BE REPAIRED BY UBUNTU OR ANY OTHER OS"

Ya its true...:D

AlanR8
August 1st, 2012, 06:57 PM
I store my data in the cloud these days so if I have a problem all I have to do is re-install and pull the data back.

Just bought a new laptop, well 6 months ago now. It has a 320 gig hard drive but I really don't see the point. Might buy a 64 gig SSD to replace the mechanical drive and have a much faster machine!