PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 Stick, "Start-up Disk Creator"-generated, won't boot.

Issssy
August 1st, 2012, 05:07 AM
Decided when I moved up from 11.10 to 12.04 I would go from 32 to 64 bit, and as such, would wipe the drive and re-install off a USB stick. From the 11.10 laptop (a T61), I downloaded the 64 bit iso and built the stick using "Startup Disk Creator", per this site (link). (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/help/create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu)

Despite setting the boot priority of the USB drive to go first in BIOS, I could not get the 11.10 T61 to boot off the USB stick -- skipped over it and went on to the hard drive. I even tried removing the hard drive from the list in the BIOS to give it no option. No joy.

Grabbed my Win7 laptop, reformatted and rebuilt the stick (same physical stick) using the same iso and Pendrive Universal USB Installer per the Windows procedure. Plopped it back into the 11.10 machine, and it booted into the USB drive no issue -- 12.04 LTS 64 now installed on the T61.

So, what gives with the published ubuntu OS method to build the stick? -- same physical stick, same laptop, but no boot.

levlaz
August 1st, 2012, 07:07 AM
Not really sure what the issue was... but I typically use unetbootin , it works in Mac Windows and Linux and I have never had any issues with it.