View Full Version : [ubuntu] Nothing But Background

August 1st, 2012, 03:10 AM
I wrote the ISO for Ubuntu 12.04 onto a brand new USB stick and I decided to completely wipe out my old, faulty Ubuntu 10.10 and do a clean install. But, just like every other effort to install Ubuntu, all I ever get after I log in is nothing but the background. This happened with both 10.10 and 12.04. I am using a Dell Inspiron 1526 that is about five years old. I would love to use Ubuntu, but this is very disheartening that I can't seem to successfully install it. What could possibly be wrong?

August 1st, 2012, 03:21 AM
Can you not put 12.04 on to a CD/DVD
to boot from?

August 1st, 2012, 03:26 AM
I have already tried that. My disks are 4 MB too small to hold the ISO and it won't burn to a DVD-R with 4.2 GB on it.

August 3rd, 2012, 04:56 AM
DVD's can burn that many gigs.
Do you have the proper BIOS installed
on the machine you are working on?

This could be a problem of the disks being
burned incorrectly or the disk
itself being incompatible
with the machine.

August 3rd, 2012, 04:58 AM
Have you had any progress with your current problem
since my last post? If so please post it as to
help others who may come across this.

August 3rd, 2012, 05:09 AM
So from what I understand, you burned the Ubuntu image onto a USB stick, thus, creating a LiveUSB. When you boot into the LiveUSB, the only thing you get is the background and nothing else? No Unity interface?

August 3rd, 2012, 05:49 AM
I have already tried that. My disks are 4 MB too small to hold the ISO and it won't burn to a DVD-R with 4.2 GB on it.

Something is wrong here 12.04 should hold comfortable on a CD 700MB.

and you would have to pickup a dvd image here http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/alternative-downloads

because the regular cd image cannot put on dvd.

Then you have to be careful of the usb stick you use,I think there is some problem with the scandisk types

try this if you have being still using the win doze

or from another ubuntu machine

and this is what I use