PDA

View Full Version : [other] Dell Latitude D630

SEECo
July 31st, 2012, 10:29 PM
Hi guys I am a 15 Year-Old High School Student I have Ubuntu 10.04 on my Dell Latitude D630 it have 80 GB HDD, 1GB Ram, DVD Combo, Nvidia Quadro NVS 135M, Processor 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo T7300. So I need to ask that these specifications of my Laptop are OK or I need to upgrade them or I have to change my laptop.

GreatDanton
July 31st, 2012, 10:36 PM
Since you have only 1Gb of ram I would recommend either Xubuntu or Lubuntu. Ubuntu will run with 1gb of ram but I think you won't be satisfied.

Regards.

Wild Man
July 31st, 2012, 10:42 PM
+1, I recommend lubuntu it will run better then ubuntu but xubuntu will do ok too.
Thanks

SEECo
August 1st, 2012, 07:28 AM
No Guys You Didn't understood me I meant that I will always have Ubuntu how much do I have to Upgrade on my laptop. Like you said 1GB isn't Enough so Should I upgrade to 2GB

levlaz
August 1st, 2012, 07:32 AM
2GB Ram will have it running comfortably. 4GB is more than enough.

I run Ubuntu 12.04 on a think pad t61 with 2 gigabyte ram and runs just fine.

are you planning on upgrading current laptop Or purchasing the new 1.if you're going to buy a new one how to get one with At least gigabytes of ram.

mastablasta
August 1st, 2012, 08:30 AM
you should upgrade as much as possible (possibly in system and how much money you have).

another option is to use Unity 2D which should reduce the ram usage.

SEECo
August 1st, 2012, 09:02 AM
The Maximum Possibility in system is 4GB. And I do not use Ubuntu Netbook Edition I use Gnome. So I should Upgrade as much as possible but what would be the minimum specs would you recommend me to run ubuntu smoothly

anewguy
August 1st, 2012, 10:32 AM
4gb - your max, would be much better for ubuntu when you start running other apps.

mastablasta
August 1st, 2012, 11:29 AM
The Maximum Possibility in system is 4GB. And I do not use Ubuntu Netbook Edition I use Gnome.
there is no netbook edition anymore. there is Unity which is default interace for Gnome and there is Gnome fallback. There is also Gnome shell.

Gnome fallback and Unity 2D use less system resources and 1 GB should be just finefor those settings.

So I should Upgrade as much as possible but what would be the minimum specs would you recommend me to run ubuntu smoothly
if you can afford to upgrade and if you plan to use the mashcine for some time to come, then it would be good to go fo 4 GB. More ram is always better, no matter what OS you are running. applications need it and more ram you have more applicaitons can run at same time.

SEECo
August 1st, 2012, 01:49 PM
there is no netbook edition anymore. there is Unity which is default interace for Gnome and there is Gnome fallback. There is also Gnome shell.

Gnome fallback and Unity 2D use less system resources and 1 GB should be just finefor those settings.

if you can afford to upgrade and if you plan to use the mashcine for some time to come, then it would be good to go fo 4 GB. More ram is always better, no matter what OS you are running. applications need it and more ram you have more applicaitons can run at same time.
Then 4 GB is OK and what about my Nvidia Graphics Card is that one OK to run it correctly. And another thing the version of Ubuntu 10.04 I am using has no thing like unity it is a netbook edition.

mastablasta
August 1st, 2012, 02:32 PM
i see, i thought you planned to upgrade to 12.04....

nvidia card should be ok (it not Optimus technology, right? i mean since you have no other card...). you could porbably even install their porprietary drivers. And if it's a laptop you might not be able to upgrade the card since often thse graphics chips are attached to motherboard.

otherwise the easiest way is to run a live system (select "try it") and then see if it all works and what additional drivers are available for install.

liamwazhere
August 1st, 2012, 02:37 PM
I myself am running 12.04 on my latitude d630 w/ 2gb of RAM. So you really only need to upgrade to 2gb if you want to save the money. If you can easily then yeah go for the max 4gb.

SEECo
August 1st, 2012, 07:43 PM
OK I brought 2GB and installed it and I think it's a good one. Hey MastaBlasta i have heard that many people have complained after their upgrade to 12.04 because it has become slow. What do you think about that? If not then tell what are the plus points of Ubuntu 12.04

levlaz
August 1st, 2012, 07:48 PM
I havent made the switch to 12.04 yet - because I do not see a reason to. "If it aint broke dont fix it."

I think 10.04 LTS is the best linux distro out there today. I am going to be sad when it is no longer supported.

There is not a single task that I need to do that I cannot accomplish quickly and easily in 10.04.

SEECo
August 2nd, 2012, 10:06 AM
I havent made the switch to 12.04 yet - because I do not see a reason to. "If it aint broke dont fix it."

I think 10.04 LTS is the best linux distro out there today. I am going to be sad when it is no longer supported.

There is not a single task that I need to do that I cannot accomplish quickly and easily in 10.04.

You are exactly right 10.04 is the best ubuntu distro of all. On whcih laptop do You use !0.04

mastablasta
August 3rd, 2012, 09:59 AM
What do you think about that? If not then tell what are the plus points of Ubuntu 12.04

new kernel (means new drivers), new progammes, new features and it also has Unity interface.
i have no idea how unity will work with your card. best way is to run it live see how it works. it will definatelly work with Unity 2D (looks the practicly the same but is not using 3D acceleration).

it is safer and faster to do a clean install of 12.04.

As much as i liked 10.04 on one computer sound stopped working, so i had ot move to 10.10 and then when 10.10 support run out to 12.04. 12.04 sound worked great on start but is now not working anymore. i found a workarround and made a very short script to enable it.

on another ocmputer 10.04 wokred great until it suddenly became super slow (granted computer was really old and low on ram). i replaced 10.04 with Chrunchbang based on Debian Stable.

if 10.04 works great on your mashcine i wouldn't upgrade to 12.04 yet. if oyu need newer programmes you can get them via PPA. and if all works as it should you don't really need the new drivers found in new kernel.

dave0109
August 5th, 2012, 12:25 PM
nvidia card should be ok (it not Optimus technology, right? i mean since you have no other card...). you could porbably even install their porprietary drivers.

Too old for Optimus ;) I have the D620 (with 2GB RAM), on which I ran Ubuntu until 11.10 when I switched to Xubuntu. I've always used the standard graphics drivers, and not the proprietary ones. I have had no problems doing stuff with Shotwell, GIMP, VLC etc.