PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Missing Firmware for netbook wireless card

Blkbuddha
July 31st, 2012, 10:01 PM
I have read some of the posts and still have no idea of what to do or where to go. I am completely new to Linux and the Ubuntu software.

I have a Compaq net book that I received from Verizon when I signed up for Fios. I have decided to play around with Ubuntu on it. I installed the net book version which is 10.4 I believe and now the wireless card is not working. I do not have the ability of plugging the net book into the modem as it resides inside my landlords house and I do not have accesses to it. I wanted to download the proper firmware but where do I go and how do I install it once I get it. Any links anybody can provide to help will be much appreciated.

Recap Questions:

1: A link to the firmware for the Broadcom 4312 802.11b/g (Demi-2) WLAN adapter for download

2: A link of how to install the firmware by usb stick

Thank you anybody that can help hope to get this up and running soon been at this for a couple of days now and its driving me mad.

Kelvari
July 31st, 2012, 10:07 PM
Personally, I would recommend connecting to a wired connection, but I believe the package that you'll be looking for will be b43-fwcutter

http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise/b43-fwcutter

Wild Man
July 31st, 2012, 10:23 PM
Hi, welcome to the forum! Please open a terminal ctrl+alt+t copy and paste the following commands into it one line at a time, then paste the results here:

cat /etc/lsb-release; uname -a
lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
iwconfig
rfkill list all
lsmod
by clicking on new reply and click # then paste the information between the brackets.
Thank you

bkratz
July 31st, 2012, 10:23 PM
I have read some of the posts and still have no idea of what to do or where to go. I am completely new to Linux and the Ubuntu software.

I have a Compaq net book that I received from Verizon when I signed up for Fios. I have decided to play around with Ubuntu on it. I installed the net book version which is 10.4 I believe and now the wireless card is not working. I do not have the ability of plugging the net book into the modem as it resides inside my landlords house and I do not have accesses to it. I wanted to download the proper firmware but where do I go and how do I install it once I get it. Any links anybody can provide to help will be much appreciated.

Recap Questions:

1: A link to the firmware for the Broadcom 4312 802.11b/g (Demi-2) WLAN adapter for download

2: A link of how to install the firmware by usb stick

Thank you anybody that can help hope to get this up and running soon been at this for a couple of days now and its driving me mad.

Try this link for the b43 driver

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=11860231&postcount=8