PDA

View Full Version : Automatix For Kubuntu Announcement

mstlyevil
June 25th, 2006, 08:31 PM
Kubuntu users now have their own version of Automatix.

You can find the instructions and the link to the wiki here:

Automatix For Kubuntu (http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=203294)

I need feedback

I would like your feedback on what you, Kubuntu users want in the Kubuntu version.

Should we keep Gaim and Gimp in?

What KDE apps do you want to see in the Kubuntu version?

What are KDE equivilents to the GTK versions in Automatix that would be great replacements?

I have some Ideas myself to kick things off.

(1) ManDVD (Video Application)

(2) Krusader (Filemanager)

(3) Kftpgrabber (KDE FTP client)

(4) Konqueror plugins

(5) K9copy (CD/DVD Application)

(6) Kile (Latex Editor)

These are a few of my ideas. What are some of yours? And what do you think about my picks to incorporate?

Please give me input on this because i want to get this stuff in in the next week or so to make your Automatix truly yours.

raptros-v76
June 25th, 2006, 09:21 PM
definatly konqueror plugins. amarok = life, and i dont think that it installs by default from kubuntu-desktop.

mstlyevil
June 25th, 2006, 09:25 PM
Yes Amorok is default in Kubuntu.

raptros-v76
June 25th, 2006, 09:31 PM
you know what it should download? a good wireless moniter.

MikePnKY
June 25th, 2006, 09:31 PM
Yes please, leave Gimp in, Gimp is awesome.

Konqueror plugins, oh MOST definitely

Do you think we could add Knode, the news reader?

raptros-v76
June 25th, 2006, 09:35 PM
and klibido, for binary downloads off of usenet.

gingermark
June 25th, 2006, 10:32 PM
Dare I suggest an upgrade to KDE 3.5.3 from the kubuntu.org repositories, alongside the latest amaroK, and maybe the latest KOffice?

It might also be nice to include an upgrade to Kaffeine 0.8 - not too sure if there is a repository for that at the moment, but I mention it because I think it is a marked improvement.

I know that isn't totally what Automatix is about, but given Ubuntu follows Gnome releases handling those kinds of upgrades could be string in Kubutu Automatix's bow.

mstlyevil
June 25th, 2006, 11:23 PM
Dare I suggest an upgrade to KDE 3.5.3 from the kubuntu.org repositories, alongside the latest amaroK, and maybe the latest KOffice?

It might also be nice to include an upgrade to Kaffeine 0.8 - not too sure if there is a repository for that at the moment, but I mention it because I think it is a marked improvement.

I know that isn't totally what Automatix is about, but given Ubuntu follows Gnome releases handling those kinds of upgrades could be string in Kubutu Automatix's bow.

Great suggestions. The only problem with upgrading from Ubuntu desktop to official KDE is all the extra crap you get. I will look into if this is reasonable to add. I will also look into the latest amorok and koffice and kaffeine.

richbarna
June 25th, 2006, 11:42 PM
I go with the Konqueror plugins and Amarok too.
Is that Kautomatix then ? (for my sig) :)

raptros-v76
June 25th, 2006, 11:44 PM
also, keep in mind that we dont know when KDE 4 will come out. and that will be a must have.

mstlyevil
June 25th, 2006, 11:49 PM
I tried the easy work around for konqueror plugins but got FF installed in the package deal. I will do some research on other ways to get them installed. I never like konqueror much myself so I have never actually just installed the plugins for konqueror.

Where is that link to the wiki? :mrgreen:

gingermark
June 26th, 2006, 01:28 AM
The only problem with upgrading from Ubuntu desktop to official KDE is all the extra crap you get.
You don't have to install the official KDE - upgrading the kubuntu-desktop package works fine (at least it did for me).

kubuntu.org was a life-saver (ok, maybe that is overstating it) during Breezy, releasing packages for the new versions of KDE, amaroK and Koffice, and they actually improved Kubuntu, and were very stable.

I would like to think that this would continue.

mstlyevil
June 26th, 2006, 03:59 AM
You don't have to install the official KDE - upgrading the kubuntu-desktop package works fine (at least it did for me).

kubuntu.org was a life-saver (ok, maybe that is overstating it) during Breezy, releasing packages for the new versions of KDE, amaroK and Koffice, and they actually improved Kubuntu, and were very stable.

I would like to think that this would continue.

I checked into it and have incorporated all three in the newest build. I am testing it now and from my test so far we may have this ready for tomorrow.

NeoChaosX
June 26th, 2006, 07:51 AM
I'd say have it offer the option to install KNetworkManager, since it isn't included on the Kubuntu CDs like NetworkManager is for Ubuntu users.

woedend
June 26th, 2006, 08:08 AM
why not just have one automatix, and have options such as "show gnome applications(ubuntu)" and "show kde applications(kubuntu). A lot of people use features from both AND could pool development together as to keep a universal interface.

mstlyevil
June 26th, 2006, 06:31 PM
why not just have one automatix, and have options such as "show gnome applications(ubuntu)" and "show kde applications(kubuntu). A lot of people use features from both AND could pool development together as to keep a universal interface.

Because it clutters the menu and there are selections on Automatix for Ubuntu that will bork KDE installs. It is much cleaner and safer this way.

mstlyevil
June 26th, 2006, 09:55 PM
The Automatix Kubuntu is out. It is version 6.2-6.

All the reports I have recieved were positive so we have made it stable. Azureus is removed from the options for now until we can sort out a bug with it's execution.

Here is what the newset version features:

01. Installs KDE 3.5.3 (The latest version of the Kubuntu Desktop)
02. Installs multimedia codecs
03. Installs Firefox all Firefox plugins (java, flash, etc) (except Adobe reader and mplayer)
04. Installs Amarok 1.4 (Updates Amarok to the latest version)
05. Installs K9copy (CD/DVD software)
06. Installs Kile (A KDE intergrated latex enviroment)
07. Installs Knode & Kilibido (KDE news reader and klibido a usenet binary grabber)
08. Installs Koffice 1.5.1 (A KDE Alternative to Open Office and the newest version)
09. Installs Krusader (A popular KDE file manager)
10. Installs Kftpgrabber (FTP client for KDE)
11. Installs Superkaramba (Eye candy for KDE)
12. Installs RAR, ACE and UNRAR archive support
13. Installs skype
14. Installs Acrobat reader 7 and firefox plugin for the same.
15. Installs Frostwire (GPL clone of Limewire)
16. Installs multimedia editors (Audacity (audio), Kino (video), EasyTag (ID3))
17. Installs DVD (dvdrip) ripper
18. Installs Mplayer and mplayerplug for Firefox
19. Installs Xine-UI, Realplayer, and VLC player
20. Installs Opera Browser 9.0
21. Installs Avidemux (Video editing tool) (New version 2.1.0)
22. Installs GIMP
23. Installs Programming Tools (Anjuta (C/C++ IDE), Bluefish (HTML editor), Screem (Web Development Env.) and NVU (HTML editor))
24. Installs MS true type fonts
25. Installs Gaim Beta 2
26. Installs Streamripper and Streamtuner
27. Installs NON-FREE audio and dvd codecs
28. Installs Laptop Wifi Network Tools
29. Installs Checkgmail (A system try icon that alerts you to new mail in your Gmail account)
30. Installs SUN'S JAVA JRE version 1.5
31. Installs SUN'S JAVA JDK version 1.5
32. Installs wine (u need to run winecfg manually after installation)
33. Enables ejection of CD when CDROM drive button is pressed.
34. Installs AMSN 0.95 (MSN client with webcam support)
35. Installs Xchat (A very popular IRC chat client)
36. Installs BUM (Boot-up Manager)
37. Installs Swiftfox (A CPU specific version of Firefox optimised to be faster)
38. Installs Swiftfox Pluggins (The same plugins as in Firefox)
39. NVIDIA cards (Detects Nvidia cards and installs drivers) (Needs a restart)
40. Installs Mozilla-Thunderbird 1.5 (US-only version) (no support for non-US-english language packs and enigmail)
41. Installs Amule (A opensource Emule/Edonkey P2P clone)

I'm still open for more suggestions and I will try to figure something out on the Konqueror plugins that will not force a install of Firefox.

Please keep the suggestions coming in.

Castar
June 27th, 2006, 05:41 PM
Kaffeine and Apollon with giFT plugins :o !!!!

Pretty please! :D