PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help with Ubuntu 12

Faron
July 31st, 2012, 04:03 AM
Hello,I Am trying to wipe/format my HDD,However,when i did,it still said 18MB of something is on it.I Suspect its grub,and im trying to COMPLETELY Wipe the HDD.Whenever i try to boot from hdd,the grub rescue thing always comes up.Please help me in resolving this Issue.

levlaz
July 31st, 2012, 04:28 AM
Hello,I Am trying to wipe/format my HDD,However,when i did,it still said 18MB of something is on it.I Suspect its grub,and im trying to COMPLETELY Wipe the HDD.Whenever i try to boot from hdd,the grub rescue thing always comes up.Please help me in resolving this Issue.

Get the gparted live CD (http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php).

Boot to it and use the tools to wipe the drive.

Bashing-om
July 31st, 2012, 04:29 AM
ok, I am somewhat of a new beginner. But, I just did the same thing. Here is my advise .
from a live cd ...go to the try ubuntu option.
bring up a CLI (terminal)
this next command is VERY much fraught with danger; suggest research the command and insure what i relay to you is valid !
from the terminal type
dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1M

sda is the first disk on your system, change it to other (as in 2nd disk sdb) if not.
this code zeros out the entire disk. you will get no output/status on the terminal;
but, be patient. my 500G disk took two hours to wipe, (there is a way to get a status, but is rather tedious for a beginner... iffen ya want will comply at your request.
when it finally completes.. choose install ubuntu... follow the prompts and shud be good to go!
HTH

UltimateCat
July 31st, 2012, 04:31 AM

If you delete the 18 MB ( which is probably grub ) your current distro will fail-

Ubuntu comes with G-pared if you want to delete a partition.

Faron
July 31st, 2012, 06:40 PM
Im trying to Reinstall Window on it,then install Ubuntu to dualboot.Ubuntu IS Gone on it,but Grub remains.And this Computer ha no CD Drive,I Will Mount,using ISO-USB,And try gparted.I Will post results when I Do that.Thanks for your time :p

Faron
August 1st, 2012, 01:09 AM
Its still ther!Ive used DBAN,Gparted live CD,And its not gone!I have also used the dd command.

Bashing-om
August 1st, 2012, 02:05 AM
welp, Iffen ya did the dd thing from alternate access and did not wipe the drive ,I am at a loss .... maybe EFFI or GPT boot partition? Maybe maybe ...cud it be that dd can not over-write ? some-one else advise us huh ???

where there is a problem; there is a solution !

joco1500
August 1st, 2012, 02:13 AM
This command will completely wipe your hdd

USE WITH CAUTION!!!!

Faron
August 1st, 2012, 02:16 AM
This command will completely wipe your hdd

USE WITH CAUTION!!!!

Ive already tried that!I Have already stated that.

joco1500
August 1st, 2012, 02:20 AM
I'm sorry man

i didn't look at the other responses.

Faron
August 1st, 2012, 02:23 AM
I'm sorry man

i didn't look at the other responses.

Its alright,I Just want GRUB Off already :mad: