PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Adobe Flash Plugin

3dmatrix
July 31st, 2012, 02:32 AM
I recently noticed the following message on Adobe's website :

Adobe Flash Player 11.2 will be the last version to target Linux as a supported platform. Adobe will continue to provide security backports to Flash Player 11.2 for Linux.

at : http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

So how do we go abt it in future ?
Will we develope an alternative or is Flash an outdated technology ?

electricmaster
July 31st, 2012, 02:34 AM
As far as I know, there won't be any alternatives. However, you can keep using the latest Linux release, or you can just use Chrome, which will be shipped with the latest version of Flash, even though they stopped making new versions at Adobe.

levlaz
July 31st, 2012, 02:38 AM
I think the web is moving away from flash with the advent of HTML5 technology (http://www.youtube.com/html5/) -- especially on sites like Youtube. when I was using Trisquel (http://trisquel.info)(a 100% free spin of ubuntu) it came with gnash (http://www.gnu.org/software/gnash/) by default which is an open source flash player -- although it worked fairly well it had some trouble on some sites.

Once youtube came out with the HTML5 preview -- everything ran smooth.

I am actually glad Adobe stopped supporting Linux, honestly.. I think this will further the development of alternatives like gnash, and continue the trend of the web moving away form flash. The future looks bright -- even though it may not be "flashy" ... haha :)

TheMTtakeover
July 31st, 2012, 04:01 AM
everything is becoming unsupported in Linux. I hear everyone yelling that Linux gives you so many options. Yet if I want up to date flash I am left with one web browser. Super dope choices guys.

levlaz
July 31st, 2012, 04:03 AM
everything is becoming unsupported in Linux. I hear everyone yelling that Linux gives you so many options. Yet if I want up to date flash I am left with one web browser. Super dope choices guys.

The latest android devices will not have flash either. and as you may know iphone/ipad have never had flash support and they are supposed to be state of the art? :)

Its not that linux is losing support.. its that flash is old news and its time for something better.

You can't blame Linux for not having flash.. blame Adobe for making yet another poor decision.

QIII
July 31st, 2012, 04:07 AM

Compared to the support 20 years ago, I'd say things have improved slightly.

3dmatrix
July 31st, 2012, 07:54 AM
Its good things are changing. We indeed get far more options in Linux than other OS.
I dont care if that closed system (Flash) survives or not. The sooner every one switches to more open standards the better. But till all websites switch over to HTML5 how do we manage ? GNash and Chrome ?

electricmaster
July 31st, 2012, 07:58 AM
I think that's about the size of it.

Honestly though, I wish legit companies would start thinking about the Linux community. A lot of people disagree with me, but I'd be willing to spend money on commercial products. I'd take a copy of PsE over GIMP any day!

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
July 31st, 2012, 09:44 AM
I am actually glad Adobe stopped supporting Linux, honestly.. I think this will further the development of alternatives like gnash, and continue the trend of the web moving away form flash. The future looks bright -- even though it may not be "flashy" ... haha :)
I will be happy when they drop windows support ;)

kurt18947
July 31st, 2012, 12:08 PM
Its good things are changing. We indeed get far more options in Linux than other OS.
I dont care if that closed system (Flash) survives or not. The sooner every one switches to more open standards the better. But till all websites switch over to HTML5 how do we manage ? GNash and Chrome ?

Flash will continue to work fine. The only way to get flash 11.3 and newer will be via pepper. Right now Chrome is the only browser supporting pepper, and none too well according to some posts. Do we need flash 11.3 and newer? For most uses, probably not. Most sites seem happy with Flash 10 or earlier. With flash being persona non grata in Apple's iWorld and Android moving away, it seems unlikely to me that flash will develop much beyond where it is now. Maybe stay about where it is now then decrease in relevance? Even Adobe has said that HTML5 will likely eclipse flash.

NikTh
July 31st, 2012, 02:30 PM
Hi ,

Chrome had some problems lately ,with an upgrade . Avoid to use it .

Try to use Chromium instead . The open source alternative of Chrome.
I think Chromium uses as well this Pepper Api thing. Check it out.

Thanks

3dmatrix
August 1st, 2012, 07:47 AM
I think that's about the size of it.

Honestly though, I wish legit companies would start thinking about the Linux community. A lot of people disagree with me, but I'd be willing to spend money on commercial products. I'd take a copy of PsE over GIMP any day!

Well i am happy with GIMP why would i pay for PsE !
If i really have to spend money i would rather donate some to GIMP.

marl30
August 1st, 2012, 06:35 PM
Hi ,

Chrome had some problems lately ,with an upgrade . Avoid to use it .

Try to use Chromium instead . The open source alternative of Chrome.
I think Chromium uses as well this Pepper Api thing. Check it out.

Thanks

Chrome has been working perfectly for me and is more up to date than Chromium, which has been stuck at version 18 for some time now.

The only problem I've had with Chrome is Flash 11.3, and it's easy to go to: chrome://plugins/ and disable 11.3 and enable 11.2 and problem solved. I plan to continue to use 11.2 in newer version of Chrome until the Flash 11.3 bug is fixed by Google.

As for Flash no longer updating in Linux outside of Chrome, I don't see it as a big deal. I agree with what someone said earlier that there won't be much new innovation in newer versions of Flash since Adobe is expecting it to be phased out by the time HTML5 matures. So expect Flash 11.2 to work flawlessly until Flash is completely dead.

rocka
November 1st, 2012, 02:39 PM
Chrome has been working perfectly for me and is more up to date than Chromium, which has been stuck at version 18 for some time now.

The only problem I've had with Chrome is Flash 11.3, and it's easy to go to: chrome://plugins/ and disable 11.3 and enable 11.2 and problem solved. I plan to continue to use 11.2 in newer version of Chrome until the Flash 11.3 bug is fixed by Google.

As for Flash no longer updating in Linux outside of Chrome, I don't see it as a big deal. I agree with what someone said earlier that there won't be much new innovation in newer versions of Flash since Adobe is expecting it to be phased out by the time HTML5 matures. So expect Flash 11.2 to work flawlessly until Flash is completely dead.

well I would like to learn a language on livemocha (http://www.livemocha.com) and this is what I get when I try to access any of the lessons:

This content requires the Adobe Flash Player version 11.3 or higher.
Get Flash

Click here for a non-Flash view of the lesson
If I try the non-flash version I only get plain text, and no interaction - no exercises, pictures or audio.

Can anyone tell me how to fix this?
[btw I've tried Chromium, same result]

Pilot6
November 1st, 2012, 03:31 PM
The only way to get flash content at that site is to use Chrome.