PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 stops installing after clicking 'Continue" Button on Who Are You screen

Samurai Penguin
July 30th, 2012, 11:31 PM
When I first installed Ubuntu 12.04 a few days ago I had too do a few hard resets and finally got Ubuntu 12.04 to load. I sold my Win7 OS on ebay, then formatted the hard drive, installed Win XP as a backup and then Ubuntu 12.04. The installer partitioned the hard drive (I set it to 50/50) and it copies files until I click the CONTINUE button on the WHO ARE YOU window, then the DVD drive LED stops and the HDD LED begins to do a repeat pattern (seven blinks with the 7th extra bright and then seven blinks followed by two quick blinks - this repeats indefinitely until I do a hard reboot).

I can load Ubuntu 10.10 no problem but and I thought I'd do that and then upgrade via internet but it tells me it will takes over an hour, and then I'll need to keep upgrading until I hit 12.04 ???

The time when 12.04 finally loaded, I had waited for the COPY FILES indicator to pass the halfway mark but that no longer does anything.

ajgreeny
July 30th, 2012, 11:53 PM
I can only suggest that you boot to the live system then run
sudo apt-get remove ubiquity-slideshow-ubuntuin terminal and see if that gets you any further.

On some hardware there seems to be a bug which crashes the slideshow and stops the installation running. If that does not help you may need to use the Alternate-install-CD

Samurai Penguin
July 31st, 2012, 12:45 AM
as I was waiting for a reply I tried again and it loaded and yes, the slide show screen is the one failing to open. Thanks for the tip, I'll try it if need be, when I re-install