PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10

EdforUB
July 30th, 2012, 11:30 PM
After Windows XP Home Edition crashed on my PC, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 from live CD. Over the months this has been upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal). However my intel graphics hardware is not supported for the upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10. Your kind help and advice would be most appreciated. Thankyou very much.

levlaz
July 30th, 2012, 11:57 PM
After Windows XP Home Edition crashed on my PC, I installed Ubuntu 10.10 from live CD. Over the months this has been upgraded to Ubuntu 11.04 (Natty Narwhal). However my intel graphics hardware is not supported for the upgrade to Ubuntu 11.10. Your kind help and advice would be most appreciated. Thankyou very much.

I'm not really sure what you mean by your hardware not being supported for 11.10 -- could you be more specific.

What kind of hardware are you running?

Thanks,

Lev

miegiel
July 31st, 2012, 12:13 AM

I agree with levlaz, you need to give a bit more info for people to be able to help you.

That said, why don't you upgrade to 12.04? It will get security updates for the next 5 years and seems more suited for you (if my assumptions on what kind of user you are is correct).

levlaz
July 31st, 2012, 12:16 AM
I agree with levlaz, you need to give a bit more info for people to be able to help you.

That said, why don't you upgrade to 12.04? It will get security updates for the next 5 years and seems more suited for you (if my assumptions on what kind of user you are is correct).

I was going to suggest the same thing, after making a backup of course. however, judging by the fact that the OP claims his graphics card is unsupported -- I am assuming he is running on older hardware and perhaps would be better suited with a lighter distro like Lubuntu.

I suppose we can give better advice once he replies.

Autodave
July 31st, 2012, 12:29 AM
I was going to suggest the same thing, after making a backup of course. however, judging by the fact that the OP claims his graphics card is unsupported -- I am assuming he is running on older hardware and perhaps would be better suited with a lighter distro like Lubuntu.

I suppose we can give better advice once he replies.

I am running Xubuntu on a 700 mhz machine. Boot-up time less than 45 seconds. And it runs great. Plus, Xubuntu has a much nicer main screen (in my opinion) that Lubuntu.

levlaz
July 31st, 2012, 12:31 AM
I am running Xubuntu on a 700 mhz machine. Boot-up time less than 45 seconds. And it runs great. Plus, Xubuntu has a much nicer main screen (in my opinion) that Lubuntu.

Either one is a good choice. I am not a huge fan of the defaults in Lubuntu or Xubuntu, but I am running a highly customized version of Lubuntu and it seems a little bit faster and more responsive to me. :)

miegiel
July 31st, 2012, 08:36 PM
I Thought I'd give this thread a break and see if an authority on really old hardware would drop in. But here are my 2ct anyway.

Modules/drivers for really old hardware get dropped from the kernel from time to time. But that doesn't mean you can't add them yourself. The reason is hardly anyone still uses the hardware and it keeps the kernel from getting bloated with stuff almost no one needs. I'm sure if you search for it, you can find out how to do it. And I still recommend upgrading to 12.04 after figuring out how to add support for you graphics card. It will take some effort but you'll be set for the next 5 years. And, of course, extending the life of your old 700MHz machine for another 5 years would be "uber".