PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] BIND9 configuration

Caleb7
July 28th, 2012, 10:57 PM
I have Apache 2 set up and working with Virtual Hosting.

Now, I'm looking for a little help with BIND9 configuration. I want to create subdomains any time I need to, and point them to a new virtual directory. (such as some web hosts do that offer free subdomains)

Plan:
1. Have one DNS server manage the domain I purchased.
2. Add subdomains to my domain such as user1.mydomain.com, user2.mydomain.com, etc.
3. When people search *.mydomain.com, I want them to be querying my DNS server to get the address of whatever the subdomain was. Currently I'm using the DNS servers over at Enom. I want to use my own, and add many subdomains.

I've read multiple manuals and configured BIND9 a couple times in different ways. I'm still not 100% sure exactly how to get it all working. Right now I'm sitting on a fresh install and searching for more information.

Basically I want my DNS server to have complete control over my domain name.

I won't be using two servers for redundancy, as I'll only be using this for a demonstration, on web hosting and subdomain registration in a class project.

#-o

Caleb7
July 29th, 2012, 03:17 AM
Got it all figured out. Used this as a reference if anyone else is struggling: http://www.howtoforge.com/two_in_one_dns_bind9_views

Explains the whole internal/external thing appropriately and the correct use of views, even though I chose not to use views. Hope this helps others.