PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Unity

slowtrain
July 28th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Ok, maybe this is more venting and advice giving than advice getting, but I'm yet another person for whom Unity doesn't 'work' and am curious what other people's sentiment is out there. I'm not running a tablet, but a laptop that is as powerful as some of the better desktops. When I'm fully using my system, I can be working on 6 different projects, each with one to three dozen windows and apps open. Unity just isn't designed for this kind of utilization. Even after using it for 3 weeks, I was still having trouble switching between items I was running (and I was on vacation--not power using), finding things (I'm more likely to remember an icon or location than names), and the dock was very limited.

So, I installed gnome shell and switched to gnome classic. I did like the practicality of some features in Unity, on occasion, so I installed Docky and Synapse--the first for a dock and the second to keyboard search for apps and documents, particularly most recent first. But, I also like to have the power of Gnome Search Tool when what I'm looking for isn't the first thing to rise to the top in Synapse (or Unity) and I need to order by file save date or look down long lists. Docky is much more full-featured and useful than the Unity dock--I can change the order of icons, right click to see all documents open in a particular app and select one. The bottom panel lets me organize and select items more visually.

So, now I'd say my desktop is perfect. What really worries me is that it looks like these more powerful desktops environments, tools and add ons are now lagging in development and may eventually become unusable. Docky crashes periodically. I can't install the standard gnome panel timer applet (says there's a broken dependency (python-gnomeapplet isn't available). Applets that used to be automatically installed and are highly useful need to be installed separately and may not work.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't 'get' why Canonical doesn't understand that not everyone wants to use Ubuntu on a tablet or netbook. Linux is serious and seriously powerful software and there are plenty of power users out here. Either they should build options into Unity that give it the kind of power use capabilities we can get with the type of setup above, or they should have a couple versions of the desktop that they maintain and build equally, one for people who are trying to drive their tablet or cellphone, and one for people who have real work to do.

If others agree, is there a way to get the bee in Canonical's bonnet?

nothingspecial
July 28th, 2012, 05:06 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Search the forums for other peoples opinions, there are countless billions out there....

Closed.