PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 12.04 on a 7.1MBP with SSD

timbim
July 28th, 2012, 11:10 AM
As above really. I've got a 13in Macbook Pro 7.1, recently upgraded to 8GB RAM. I've also just bought an Optibay and a 128GB SSD. I currently have a bootcamp setup with Lion/Win7 on the magnetic drive (also upgraded from the original), which I'd like to leave well alone since getting bootcamp to play nicely was far too stressful. Therefore, I'd like to install ubuntu to the SSD, ideally without the magnetic drive in at all (optibay hasn't arrived yet, I'm impatient...). I've read various things about this era of mac and SSDs, patching driver files to enable AHCI and various other things.

What I'm looking for is some form of confirmation that I'm not going to be chasing up some horrible blind alley doing this and that I will actually be able to get ubuntu running off the SSD. If what I'm trying is absolutely impossible, then I'd like to know that before I begin. It would also be fantastic if anyone could point out any decent guides to doing all this that I might have missed, the driver patching step looks especially hairy.

Thanks,
Tim

timbim
July 28th, 2012, 03:30 PM
So I can answer this myself empirically, it can be done without too many problems.