PDA

View Full Version : Don't you think FireFox is in the mood of version Race?

pqwoerituytrueiwoq
July 25th, 2012, 04:08 PM
mozilla took the update policy of chrome, i do with they kept there old version numbering system
version numbers used to mean something
now it just means a few months later

ikt
July 25th, 2012, 04:15 PM
version numbers used to mean something

Haven't meant anything for a long time.

http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq.php?faq=general#0

I think it's clear that some other distributions inflated their version numbers for marketing purposes, and I've had to field (way too many times) the question "why isn't yours 6.x" or worse "when will you upgrade to Linux 6.0" which really drives home the effectiveness of this simple trick. With the move to glibc and nearly everyone else using 6.x now, it made sense to go to at least 6.0, just to make it clear to people who don't know anything about Linux that Slackware's libraries, compilers, and other stuff are not 3 major versions behind. I thought they'd all be using 7.0 by now, but no matter. We're at least "one better", right? :)

It's hard to argue since Ubuntu's version update cycle is pretty much the same as firefox and chrome.

ssam
July 25th, 2012, 04:37 PM
the alternative is that once a new feature has been written it is only available in the dev version for 2 years. for commercial software this is great because each release needs lots of new features to convince people to pay for the upgrade. in open source software you can do lots of little releases and get the new features out as soon as they are stable.

i'd be very happy if projects like gimp could do more smaller releases.

vasa1
July 25th, 2012, 05:16 PM
I have seen quite a good development in Firefox versions! The most good update which I saw was from 3.6.9 to firefox 4. But in recent last 2 years I have seen Firefox making lot of version names even for smaller changes! It's like last night when I slept I was having Firefox 11 but in morning it got updated to version 12. I agree to be updated but is it necessary to give a new version name for every minor update? If you see Internet Explorer for every version they introduce something new! for example Internet Explorer 9 from Internet Explorer 8..So Don't you think FireFox is in the mood of increasing the no. of version race?

Is that a real problem?

Grenage
July 25th, 2012, 05:22 PM
As silly as it may sound:

Firefox 12
Internet Explorer 10

Many people would look at that and assume that 12 is a higher number, so it is more up-to-date, or established. Then again, most of those people will just use the default web browser. It's also easier to recall '12', than '12.3.1'.

By that logic (and it's subjective logic), frequent whole increments could increase user share, but are unlikely to drive away existing users. I mean, who stops using a program just because the release version is incrementing too quickly for their taste?

not found
July 25th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

BrokenKingpin
July 27th, 2012, 04:42 PM
I also don't like the rapidly increasing version numbers. Before when it skipped a major version (3.x to 4.x) it would mean there were big new features, and when it was just a point increment, it would mean just a patch or minor feature. Now every small bug fix gets a whole new version number... it's insane.