PDA

View Full Version : Arguments on Using Ubuntu/Linux

c2tarun
July 24th, 2012, 12:58 PM
Hi Friends,

I am starting this thread just to know that whether I am the only one criticised by my friends on using Ubuntu/Linux or there are others. Please share your experiences when people see that you are using Ubuntu/Linux and not Windows.

I am sharing my experience when my friends see my laptop for the first time.
The most common question I get from die hard windows fans when they see my desktop is:

What kind of theme is this? When I tell them its Ubuntu/Linux, then they instantly ask me to restart and start windows so that they can at least surf. I tell them I only have ubuntu. They ask WHY ARE YOU NOT USING WINDOWS? :( as if I am committing some crime.

If after long arguments, I convince them partially that Linux is better first question I get is "Can we watch movies in Linux? and Does vlc work on Linux? :)"

vasa1
July 24th, 2012, 01:18 PM
c2tarun, go to this site, incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in, and click on downloads.

You'll see that you should have friends willing to let you use their Windows at least once a year ;)

c2tarun
July 24th, 2012, 01:21 PM
c2tarun, go to this site, incometaxindiaefiling.gov.in, and click on downloads.

You'll see that you should have friends willing to let you use their Windows at least once a year ;)

hahaha :) good point, still my company have agents who file returns for free. I can pass that. ;)

And I am also preparing for GRE, my coaching gave me a pretty good software for vocab, alas that works only on window :( so I have windows installed in virtual box on my machine with only that software and .net framework as it is required by that software.

na5h
July 24th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Criticized? Quite the opposite, actually...;-)

I'd say that Linux users are often viewed as "people who know more about computers than the average user"...sometimes even referred to as "nerds", or "professionals", depending on the eye of the beholder. This is probably slowly changing though, due to user-friendly distros like Ubuntu gaining ground...

QIII
July 24th, 2012, 03:44 PM
I don't think that convincing your friends that Linux is "better" is very worthwhile.

"Better" for what?

It's not a matter of "better", it's a matter of choice. What works well in some cases does not work well in others. Windows is good for some things, Linux for others. You don't have to use just one or the other. You can use both.

However, a large portion of the criticisms of Linux are based on ignorance and urban myth. That much is worth dispelling. For many users PC = Windows and Windows = PC. That is how it has been for most people for 30 years.

And yes, you can watch movies on movie players in Linux, but defeating DRM to do so in Linux is illegal in some countries. That's not a failure of Linux itself. It's the nature of draconian DRM.

rg4w
July 24th, 2012, 05:36 PM
Whenever I see the word "argument" in a post about operating systems I kinda cringe.

Very few things in life lend themselves to the concept of "best", and certainly not OSes. There's always a trade-off, so we just pick the one where the trade-offs line up with our personal interests and have fun.

That never seems to stop zealots of any stripe from attempting to impose their own personal preferences on others, but I generally try to avoid advocacy altogether; I prefer to spend my time on specific problem-solving for those who express an interest.

When people ask me, "Why do you use Linux?", I just say, "Because it's fun."

epikvision
July 24th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Comparing Windows to Linux is like comparing a gameboy to a toolbox with many parts to play with.

With gameboys, you play a game that you want and once the game bores you, you move onto the next one. And the next one. It turns into a cycle, repetitive.

With a toolbox, you can construct what you want when you feel like it. Sometimes, the parts alone aren't easy to fit in yourself, so you could use support from the manual or others experienced at this art.

It's their choice. Linux is essentially malleable and flexible, bent on the will of the community. Windows want to provide the consumers without expecting them to do anything about its policies or future.

stalkingwolf
July 24th, 2012, 06:04 PM
i recently installed zorin on a laptop for the boyfriend of my sister in law. During that process i had a discussion with his brother a die hard windows fanboi. During that discussion the usual questions came up.

Isnt linux hard to use? I dont think so and the 3 7yr olds and one 9 yr old i installed it for didnt think so.

How about software? isnt it hard to find soft ware for linux?
I dont consider 34+ thousand packages in on place hard to find.

I think he would be happier and better off with windows.

But it isnt your computer it is his, and he is happy with how it works with zorin.

But wont he have to learn everything over again?
excuse me, the last computer he used had a 6 gb hdd, ran 98 (first edition) and booted to GWBASIC. he has never been online, never had an email,
learned on a TRS80 which he still has.
No matter what system he has he will have to learn all over.

he quit asking questions.

lukeiamyourfather
July 24th, 2012, 06:06 PM
When I tell them its Ubuntu/Linux, then they instantly ask me to restart and start windows so that they can at least surf. I tell them I only have ubuntu.

Open a browser like Firefox while they watch so they know where it is next time. Then tell them to stop being such a crybaby. #-o

juancarlospaco
July 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Because i can

nothingspecial
July 24th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Mikeb85
July 25th, 2012, 02:35 PM
I merely explain to people that Linux is quicker, more stable (well, can be), alot more secure, and can still do all the basic tasks people expect from their computer. Not to mention Ubuntu with Unity in particular has a nicer, easier to use interface, and the system itself, peripherals, etc..., are easier to set up than in Windows...

And of course the downside is less proprietary software is available....