PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu friendship

Arrhenius
June 25th, 2006, 01:06 AM
My question is:
Did you get used to Ubuntu?

I am not. Because I do a lot of search in the net concerning Physics, Maths, and my browser in Windows XP is Opera. In Ubuntu, Opera is not so good, the image, fonts, dimensions, they are different. I could not get used. Also, there is no PowerPoint, altough Open Office is rather good.

Sye d'Burns
June 25th, 2006, 01:09 AM
I'm using Opera 9 and honestly I can't tell too much difference at all compared to Opera 9 on xp. Perhaps you should set your fonts to something that appeals to you more. /Tools/Preferences/Advanced/Fonts - set them how you like and it should all be fine.

Engnome
June 25th, 2006, 01:17 AM
I'm using Opera 9 and honestly I can't tell too much difference at all compared to Opera 9 on xp.

Me neither, can you post a screenshot?

RAV TUX
June 25th, 2006, 01:21 AM
no difference for me with Opera 9 on Ubuntu 6.06 or XPsp2.

slimdog360
June 25th, 2006, 03:46 AM
Yet you get used to it after a little while, then when you go back and try xp you cant stand it.
I found also that the resoultion in opera was a little different and that making the fonts bigger does enough to keep me satisfied but is still a little pixelated at times.
Firefox seems to have the same problem but doesnt get pixelated.
However im using a tiny 14" crt (Im getting an upgrade soon) so that might be the problem.

Iandefor
June 25th, 2006, 04:45 AM
I'm used to it. Hell, I can have a hard time using other distro's because I'm not used to the way they work.

der_joachim
June 25th, 2006, 08:34 AM
There is only one distro I really never got used to: Mandrake. Although it looked shiny back then, it also made me lose touch with the dotfiles. I ditched it when I got broadband internet and installed Debian to get back in touch again. :)

curuxz
June 25th, 2006, 08:40 AM
You mentioned powerpoint which for the record is the biggest ***** of **$*#@$ $#@$ @#$@# ever made.

"The uselessness of a presentation is directly propotional to how complex its powerpoint slides are"

You want a real presentation tool use Flash (F4L) you will get infinitly better results.