PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] LTS users unite!

Welly Wu
July 21st, 2012, 10:43 PM
I recently received delivery of my System76 Lemur Ultra (lemu4) notebook PC and it came with Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit Long Term Service pre-installed by default. Precise Pangolin is a good LTS release and the number of bugs have been permanently fixed rather quickly so far. The Unity 3D desktop environment is finally usuable and responsive.

I am going to stick with Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS until April 2014 when Ubuntu 14.04 64 bit LTS is released. I plan to purchase a second System76 laptop PC and I plan to spend $2,000.00 USD or more at that time. I do not want anything to break by upgrading to a newer Ubuntu version. I need this to put me through my masters degree program starting in January 2013 and I plan to graduate with my degree by June 2014 if everything works out for me. I also don't want to beta test new features on my computer. It is going to be used at a university which is a production environment.

Who here uses Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS? What are your thoughts and opinions about it so far?

Will you stick with it or will you upgrade every April and October each year? Why or why not?

What do you use your Ubuntu powered computer to do?

Most of my time is spent reading my Amazon Kindle books while I study for my Educational Testing Service Revised Graduate Record Examination and I work on my Masters of Arts in English with Writing Studies concentration graduate application to Montclair State Unviersity in Upper Montclair, New Jersey, 07043. When I get accepted to my alma mater, I am going to spend the majority of my time reading authors and their published works of literature and a couple of textbooks focused on writing studies. I will do a lot of writing using a word processor like LibreOffice Writer. I also have Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate Edition Service Pack 1 and Microsoft Office 2010 32 bit Professional Plus Service Pack 1 installed in an Oracle VM Virtualbox guest virtual machine. So, I will use Microsoft Word 2010 frequently. I expect to download Microsoft Power Point 2007 or 2010 files containing textbook chapters and lecture notes on occasion, but this is at the discretion of the individual professor. We are going to use Black Board to keep in touch and to stay up to date with the courses. I plan to purchase a Canon IP4920 color printer and a USB 2.0 cable to print out my documents in order to hand in my written assignments. I expect to do a lot of web surfing to do academic research and I expect to access electronic periodicals especially research journals. Battery life will be critical so I plan to purchase a second Lithium Ion 6 cell 4400 mAh 48.84 WHr battery. I also have an Energizer / XPal XP18000 Energi to Go. It is a Lithium Polymer battery with 18,000 mAh of extra battery life. It works with my System76 Lemur Ultra (lemu4). I plan to move onto campus and to live on campus in a dormitory so weight and mobility are critical factors.

So far, I am impressed with Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS. It is highly reliable, stable, dependable and it is very fast and it performs brilliantly without consuming an enormous amount of PC hardware resources. I like the Unity 3D desktop environment as it is features rich yet simple to use. I find that Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS helps me to stay in touch with my family and friends worldwide and it keeps me focused and highly productive because it is unobtrusive. Canonical did a good job with Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS. I like the fact that I have a two year warranty and technical support from System76. It will last me throughout graduate school if I can stick to my rigorous academic schedule.

I also think that I am an Ubuntu 64 bit LTS enthusiast. It just makes plain old common sense to me. After my initial learning curve with Ubuntu 09.04 64 bit, everything got better and it got more reliable especially with Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit LTS. I learned that Canonical likes to push the envelope with non LTS releases and the quality can be reduced in favor of testing new features and introducing new capabilities. I also find that non LTS release upgrades tend to break compatibility and reliability.

Finally, Ubuntu 64 bit LTS releases are usually solid particularly 12.04. I found that everything worked right out of the box with very few issues such as the Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Linux kernel 3.2.0-26 generic bug, but that was immediately solved by upgrading to Linux kernel 3.2.0-27 generic within 3 days after I got my System76 Lemur Ultra (lemu4). Eventually, I will feel left behind when everybody else decides to upgrade to newer Ubuntu releases in the next few years, but I will also feel relieved when I do not have to go through the same problems associated with upgrading or re-installing Ubuntu from scratch bare metal either. LTS releases are particularly good for graduate students who can afford to use their chosen operating system and notebook PC on campus depending upon their degree program. My graduate English department director confirmed that my degree program and my alma mater are agnostic when it comes to specific PC requirements for hardware and software compatibility. Thank goodness for me.

I graduated from MSU in May 2004 with a Bachelor of Arts in English Creative Writing with a minor in Linguistics. I fully expect them to accept my completed graduate application sometime this mid November 2012 right after the US presidential general election is over.

It has been my previous experience that undergraduate and graduate students do a lot of communication with one another through e-mail, social media, and file sharing especially with regard to course related materials and copyrighted materials. Almost all of my data is encrypted using AES CBC and XTS 256 bits 14 rounds SHA-512, Blowfish CBC 448 bits 16 rounds SHA-512, or Serpent XTS 256 bits 32 rounds SHA-512. I don't plan to do very much file sharing except with regard to course related materials with my fellow graduate students in my courses. Using Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS dramatically reduces my risk profile and it eliminates a slew of 0 day vulnerabilities, attack vectors, exploits, and malware along with targeted attacks. So, I expect to do my part to stay safe, private, and secure. I have my CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, (ISC)2 CISSP CBK, CEH, MCSA, VM Ware Certified Professional, and I am working on my Ubuntu Certified Professional IT certifications. I used to be the Help Desk and Support Technician at New Jersey Institute of Technology in Newark, New Jersey 07102.

Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS is rock solid. It is going to help me to earn my masters degree so that I can find a full-time job as an adjunct English professor at a local community college upon graduation.

Peripheral Visionary
July 22nd, 2012, 12:03 PM
I too stick with LTS until support ends. I'll try the next LTS LiveCD a few months after it is released, but my only purpose in doing so is to see if it will still work on this old hand-me-down computer. If not, okay, I'll use the installed LTS beyond it's support life until this old hardware finally fails.

I like to keep things simple! And besides, upgrading is not mandatory. LTS versions become super stable after a few months, especially if you only do security updates and not constantly upgrading and updating every little bit of software all the time. So for me if it ain't broke, I don't fix it.

Dry Lips
July 22nd, 2012, 12:14 PM
I'll definitively stick with 12.04 until next LTS comes out... I guess I'll have to look into backports, though.

Welly Wu
August 4th, 2012, 06:21 PM
LTS releases are particularly good for home users or Linux beginners. They get up to 5 years to try out Ubuntu to see if they will like it or not. The beauty of LTS releases is that almost nothing breaks although there are occasional crashes here and then. LTS means that you are pretty much guaranteed rock solid stability and long term support. It's hard to argue with that. LTS releases are certified EAL 4+ which means that they are just as secure as Microsoft Windows and they are more secure than Apple Macintosh OS X.

It is tempting to see the raft of new features and capabilities with every non LTS release, but you have to look back into the past to see how that has turned out. I started with Ubuntu 9.04 64 bit and it was horrible on my Toshiba netbook. A lot of stuff did not work right out of the box. It wasn't until Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit LTS that things improved greatly. I installed it on my previous ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC. With the exception of Nvidia Optimus technology, almost everything worked right out of the box.

Today, I have a new System76 Lemur Ultra (lemu4) with Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS. Everything works right out of the box. I am very happy. In fact, I am so happy that I don't want to mess around with a good thing. If a new feature in a future Ubuntu release is a must have like the Unity Desktop Web Apps, then I will wait until it is back ported to Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit LTS. What I am concerned about is energy efficiency, battery life, speed, and performance along with stability and reliability. Future non LTS releases are going to compromise in one way or another on these important benchmarks. I still remember the regression in the former Linux 3.0.0 kernel that caused battery life to suffer with Ubuntu 11.04 and 11.10 64 bit. I still remember when 11.10 64 bit had problems with the Unity 3D desktop environment regarding memory usage and speed and responsiveness. Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit LTS was a good release and 10.10 was a good follow up response before Canonical changed everything in 2011.

This is why I stick with LTS releases.

To those of you that will upgrade to non-LTS releases, I have to say that you are on your own. Canonical will make its boldest changes and they will add new features and capabilities in Ubuntu 12.10, 13.04, 13.10. I say good luck to you. Expect Unity to continue to be developed and HUD to be further improved. I expect the Desktop Web Apps to be developed as well. For me, it is not worth the risk of upgrading.

If it is not broken, then don't fix it. I have learned this lesson the hard way already. It cost me a broken Crucial M4 128 GB SSD and 6 days of downtime.

LTS users unite!

not found
August 4th, 2012, 06:39 PM
Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Use what fits your needs.

Welly Wu
August 24th, 2012, 02:05 AM
Today represents the final features freeze for Ubuntu 12.04.1 32 and 64 bit Long Term Service. The shipping stable version should be available sometime between August 27th - 30th, 2012 after 2100 UTC or 05:00 PM EDT. Make sure to run Update Manager to check to see if it is available for download and installation during that time period. Alternatively, you can launch the terminal and type in do-release-update -c to check to see if the Ubuntu 12.04.1 32 or 64 bit Long Term Service update is available for download and installation. Make sure to perform a FULL update! Do not perform a partial update! It will most likely break your system as a consequence.

Stick with the LTS releases. They are super reliable and stable and the speed and performance are optimized for most users.

Ravi5kumar
August 25th, 2012, 07:04 AM
LTS is best. But I am moving to 12.10.....

Jakin
August 26th, 2012, 08:22 AM
Performed what seemed like the LONGEST upgrade EVER (1h30m not including the time taken to download the pkgs) to 12.04.1, and i really hope things have been resolved that were bugging me.. surely wont take long to find out- but i hope :)

If all is well, i will stay LTS.

Welly Wu
September 5th, 2012, 05:31 AM
Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit will be slower using Unity 6.2 or 6.4:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_unity_64&num=1

I think that this is a little bit early news. I am going to reserve judgement until Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit Beta 2 is released and Phoronix does another in depth series of test results. My experience with Ubuntu 10.04 64 bit LTS and the subsequent 10.10, 11.04 and 11.10 were similar. Ubuntu got progressively slower and less responsive with the non LTS releases. New features were added and they were not polished. There were too many known bugs and only workarounds existed while patches and updates mitigated the problems to an unsatisfactory result.

Stick with LTS releases. They are thoroughly tested and they are well supported. If you have a desktop or notebook PC that has brand new PC hardware, then you should consider a non LTS release if you have a specific component that requires the latest Ubuntu version. This may very well be the case for the droves of desktop and especially notebook PC users with cutting edge PC hardware like Nvidia Optimus or AMD CrossFire or SLI technologies. It seems to me that accelerated graphics support with multiple GPUs necessitate using the latest Ubuntu versions to make stuff work properly. I know that Nvidia is testing Optimus support and graphics drivers right now and they rely on Linux kernel 3.5 to make it work. In the near future, UEFI and Secure Boot will absolutely require Ubuntu 12.10 in order to be able to install Ubuntu on a Microsoft Windows 8 certified PC. My feeling is that users won't get the best Ubuntu experiences in the near future until Ubuntu 14.04 32 and 64 bit Long Term Service is released sometime in April 2014. I don't even know if 32 bit support will still be available at that time.

I think that this solidifies my decision to stick with Ubuntu 12.04.x 64 bit Long Term Service. I have a few minor problems on my computer, but upgrading to Ubuntu 12.10 is not going to solve them.

KiwiNZ
September 5th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Maybe someone should email Phoronix and explain what a Beta is all about