PDA

View Full Version : spreadsheet for use with Latex

godfreezone
July 21st, 2012, 05:41 AM
Which is the recommended spreadsheet for use when inserting graphs (let me clear: i am talking about a fully functional, 2 variable chart to indicate exponential population growth in a pre-calc course I am enrolled in) when using Tex to write up my report.

I am going spare trying to solve this.

Please have a view to these facts:
1. i am newborn to Linux
2. infant in maths
3. just toddling in Latex using Tex

(Plse resist urge to recommend use of diapers)

Thank you kindly for much hoped for urgent assistance as deadline approaches (i know, mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima et sola culpa)
God-frey_at_last

gnusci
July 21st, 2012, 06:20 AM
You should use LibreOffice Calc for the computations and gnuplot to build the graphs with the data.

http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo/

godfreezone
July 21st, 2012, 06:26 AM
You should use LibreOffice Calc for the computations and gnuplot to build the graphs with the data.

http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo/

I've looked at gnuplot, of course, and thanks for reminding me of this, but
gnuplot is CL controlled and, while I am heading there, remember,
I said I am a newbie to linux, so, since I am under pressure to get the job done,
I would have thought it self-evident that I need a GUI operated plotter/grapher.

I've read the help notes with Gnuplot: this would just be one too many learning curves at once: math, linux, latex AND an command-line program for graphing functions.

Unless you can happily disabuse me of something I am missing about the ease of functionality (i know, "ease" is relative term: but that is precisely why i stipulated in my post my status as newborn, actually, feel more "still-born" today) of gnuplot that I have missed????

thx for your response,
Godfrey

jbrefort
July 21st, 2012, 06:58 AM
You might try Gnumeric. It exports charts to the EPS format (and others).

godfreezone
July 21st, 2012, 07:00 AM

Thanks, so does this mean that the .eps format is handled by Tex?
G

godfreezone
July 21st, 2012, 11:20 AM

Got it!
Like it: have yet to try it out in LaTeX.
Do I save my gnumeric files as .pdf or as images?

thanks man, really helpful!

Godfrey

jbrefort
July 21st, 2012, 01:07 PM
Got it!
Like it: have yet to try it out in LaTeX.
Do I save my gnumeric files as .pdf or as images?

thanks man, really helpful!

Godfrey

The format you use to save depends on what you want to do with it. You can export just the chart if you right click on it and choose the appropriate menu item.
I saw you went on IRC, but you stayed there only a few minutes, which is generally not enough to get an answer, especially during the week-end.