PDA

View Full Version : Illegal wallpaper?

SilvioTO
March 16th, 2005, 08:55 AM
Hi, I make a ubuntu wallpaper (with text and logo ubuntu) using a national geographic background... At the bottom of national geographic photo text say: "2001 National Geographic Society. All right reserved."
I look at www.nationalgeographic.com for more information, but all images in the site are freely downloadable and all have this text on (in my wallpaper i delete it). I'm look at www.gnome-look.org and few wallpapers are photos of animals or people, and this is my doubt.
Your suggestions and thought?

:confused: Thanks.

bored2k
March 16th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Hi, I make a ubuntu wallpaper (with text and logo ubuntu) using a national geographic background... At the bottom of national geographic photo text say: "2001 National Geographic Society. All right reserved."
I look at www.nationalgeographic.com for more information, but all images in the site are freely downloadable and all have this text on (in my wallpaper i delete it). I'm look at www.gnome-look.org and few wallpapers are photos of animals or people, and this is my doubt.
Your suggestions and thought?

:confused: Thanks.
You're not going to jail for making a wallpaper lol .

You're not making money out of it so chill. Funny, this can be done but a kid comes up with mikerowsoft.com and Gates threatens to jail him.

jsgotangco
March 16th, 2005, 10:28 AM
You can just acknowledge National Geographic for the pictures as well. It would have been a different case if claim the pictures as yours but is actually owned by another organization.

SilvioTO
March 16th, 2005, 12:53 PM
:D ok... excuse me, I'm exaggerated!! but I'm scared of legal questions. I upload the wallpaper at gnome-look.org.
ha, I forget... in upload form of wich license I chose? GPL?
Thanks.

wbeck85
March 16th, 2005, 03:59 PM

You're not making money out of it so chill. Funny, this can be done but a kid comes up with mikerowsoft.com and Gates threatens to jail him.
Are you serious? about mikerowsoft.com? wow, that is sad? is there a link to a news article? i wanna read that.

quiet_core
March 16th, 2005, 05:35 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3429485.stm

it was a really stupid case.

wbeck85
March 16th, 2005, 10:48 PM
thanks. thats funny. and stupid. i wish my name were Pors Che. then I would make a site and get a free car.

bored2k
March 17th, 2005, 12:09 AM
thanks. thats funny. and stupid. i wish my name were Por Che. then I would make a site and get a free car.
lol

jv2
March 17th, 2005, 01:39 AM

Probably not, but it's still a copyright infringement to publish it and claim it as your own work. Removing the copyright text doesn't magically remove the copyrights.

spartas
March 17th, 2005, 01:51 AM
mike rowe was actually the guy's name

SilvioTO
March 17th, 2005, 01:20 PM
maybe National Geographic ask me some money and send me a forfait? :|
maybe is better I ask them authorization...
hoooooo!!! I'm scared!! :?

SilvioTO
March 17th, 2005, 02:07 PM
I decided to delete Ubuntu Tiger from gnome-look, ask permission to National Geographic and, if them agree I'm reupload it in various versions.
the rated was 71%... snif! snif! :-(