PDA

View Full Version : Noob questions-Why only 1 cd?

WaterWalker
June 24th, 2006, 12:22 PM
-Why do other distro's(suse/fedora/...) have multiple install CD's to download, while Ubuntu has only one?(not that this is a bad thing, since I have downloadlimits)
-Is it just extra stuff and could you also install the other distro's it with only 1 CD?

muep
June 24th, 2006, 12:29 PM
The 'bigger' distros tend to include much more stuff on their cds. Ubuntu installs, as default, only a very basic set of programs, with more available online. One can't install much extra without internet connection.

For me, the Ubuntu basic install cd lack Finnish language packs, which tend to exist on those 5 cd installations. Also, the Ubuntu cd holds only one kernel, the i386 optimized one, while there are many available on the multi-cd/dvd installers.

Despite the fact that the one cd doesn't contain much specialized stuff, I like it.

givré
June 24th, 2006, 12:34 PM
Because ubuntu is made for everyone and everyone don't have a DSL connection

muep
June 24th, 2006, 01:08 PM
I think that Ubuntu in particular requires a good internet connection, because one can't get most of the packages on cd.

An add-on cd or two would be a great solution to this. If I didn't have a broadband connection, I would probably order or otherwise obtain a Fedora or Suse cd set.

bruce89
June 24th, 2006, 02:24 PM
There is a DVD version with everything in main and restricted on it.

G Morgan
June 24th, 2006, 07:52 PM
I think they want to distribute for free via Ship It to as many people as posible. If they shipped several discs in a package then they could ship less so reduce the distribution level.

aysiu
June 24th, 2006, 07:55 PM
Because ubuntu is made for everyone and everyone don't have a DSL connection
It's quite the opposite, actually. Ubuntu is ideal for those with a fast internet connection, since they can use the one CD and then install the rest of the programs from the online repositories.

Other distros with multiple CDs are ideal for those folks with slow or no internet connections because they can either download and burn those CDs on another computer or order the additional CDs and have easy access to more programs.

I don't know why Ubuntu has only one CD. I think when it started it may have been to avoid confusion--keep things simple.

At this point, though, things have gotten quite complicated:
Ubuntu Desktop
Ubuntu Alternate
Kubuntu Desktop
Kubuntu Alternate
Xubuntu Desktop
Xubuntu Alternate
Edubuntu Desktop
Edubuntu Alternate
Ubuntu DVD
Kubuntu DVD

Why not just tack on some add-on CDs?

nuvo
June 24th, 2006, 08:33 PM
Ubuntu, being Debian based, has a very good package manager (APT) with a GUI (Synaptic) that makes it easy to use.
Debian based distrobutions are naturally better for people who can download stuff easily since there's the online repositories that are built up of packages known to work well with the distrobution.
RPM distrobutions and such often try to avoid the "dependancy hell" factor by including a lot of things people are likely to use such as office suites, graphics tools and games, but not everyone wants these, and there's no point in downloading the files, burning them and swapping discs just to tell the installer you don't actually want PDA synch programs or Open Office.
Debian distro's aren't the only ones to offer single disc distro's, Gentoo goes much further with it's source based model that uses portege (which would make life even less fun since you'd have to download files and then compile just to get to a basic desktop).
Basically, Ubuntu offers a base system and the tools to extend it rather than loads of stuff you'll never use and not always everything you want.

Ubuntu discs are free, but someone has to foot the bill, so keeping the core distro size down is also a factor (CD's are incredibly cheap these days, but costs will mount up as popularity grows and new versions are released).
Offering add-on discs or a DVD version with more packages for a small fee is a better option than making everyone pay for stuff they don't want (I'm a coder, so why do I want music making software?).